Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-18-2002, 01:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Send a message via ICQ to RyanSchellenber Send a message via MSN to RyanSchellenber
I am in the same boat.. Just about to add water... Before I do, I wanted some suggestions as to wether or not my idea was retarded or if you guys thought it would actually work.
I am planning on having a reef tank, and investing the cash that it would take to get 150 pounds of live rock for a 180 gallon sw tank going.
My question is would it work to buy the rock in 300 dollar increments (50-80 pounds a trip with 2 weeks between.. I am not interested in rushing into this, I was given the tank a year ago, and have been waiting to get it set up till we moved....

so, will I kill the rock? I have done the reading on cycling the tank with the rock and shrimp, but it seems like a whole wack of water for only 50 pounds of rock....

My plan is to let the rock settle for 6 weeks after I finish getting it all in(Probably 8 weeks) then start with a small clean up crew to keep things organized, try my hand at a simple anenome and a tang /clown to add in something so my wife doesn't think it is a complete waste of cash(She will never understand)

2X10000k mh
4 no
protein skimmer
wet/dry filter(Not too sure if I'll just use it as a sump)

RyanSchellenber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 02:34 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Topic split from it's former topic.

I think your plan is fine. Patience is something that alot of reefers don't have, it's refreshing to see one that does (I am one of those lacking in this virtue). A couple of pieces of advice....Once you have put the final amount of rock in, and there is no ammonia or nitrite, go ahead and add the clean up crew. This will give you something to look at as well as keep any algae or detritus produced by the rock, in check. Next, you should not attempt an anemone until your tank has matured at least 1 yr. If you do a search on anemones on this sight, you'll find plenty of posts as to why.

Good luck and Happy reefing....

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 04:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via ICQ to Bang Guy
What Kevin said!

I actually did what you are proposing and it worked great. Just do NOT buy any sensitive creatures between rock loads. Wait until your tank is stable.

I bought 50 pounds for the first increment to cycle the tank. Then a month later an additional 150 pounds of the premium (maximum life). I believe I ended up with more life in the long run. All of the rock was uncured. I spent a lot of time nurturing the second batch with water changes, and rock scrubs but it came out very well.

If you wake up breathing CONGRATULATIONS!!! You get another chance to do it right.
Bang Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com