how are coral beauty fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

proverbs

Aquarium Advice Activist
well, i wasn't planning to get another fish for awhile, but my dad brought home a coral beauty since he was just 'passing by' the fish store today. i was pretty mad that he was planning to just dump it in there w/o asking me, but he promised he wouldn't do it again. anyhow, right now i have a maroon, and two blue tangs in a 40 gal tank with some shrimps, crabs, snails and a diamond goby. will he be compatible with all these? and i was planning on getting some corals some time next month, but i saw him picking at my rocks for algae, so i'm guessing i would have to get rid of him if i decide to get coral? or maybe there are certain corals that the coral beauty won't bother?
TIA for your help.

I work at PetSuppliesPlus and we have one in our system right now he is in a dual cube with a Sm. Yellow Tang, a Arc Eye Hawkfish, a Percula, and a Cleaner Wrasse. It really doesnt bother any of the fish, and I believe they are a dwarf species so it shouldnt get much bigger. As for housing coral with it, I wouldnt try it they love to nip at polyps. Also I would watch your bioload with those tangs as they grow bigger in a small tank they start to become waste machine(pooping everywhere) I would keep the Coral Beauty and try getting a small polyp frag and see if you starts nipping if not I wouldnt worry. A co-worker of mine has a flame angel in a reef with no problems. Good Luck with you fish keep us updated

I have a coral beauty in my reef tank. He was there before the coral. I slowly added a few pieces of polyps, etc to see if he would nip at them. I guess I got lucky with him, because he leaves the coral alone.

I just got a Coral Beauty and the moment I put him in the tank he started picking off the rocks. I dont have any corals or anything but thats all he does is pick the rocks clean. Good Luck!

my coral beauty it very peaceful towards the other fish. i have a yellow tang and jus recently added a bicolor angel and they all do vary well together. as for coral i have a few polyps and he hasnt even noticed them so. i think he should be okay. they are an awesome addition to any aquarium

I have a coral beauty and it has not bother ed anything. He picks at rock like you described but has never bothered corals. My coral list is in my profile.

They dont always do it at first. Mine ( the late departed) did not bother my corals for 4 years before he decided that he wanted to start killing my corals. You always take a gamble with dwarf angels no matter what type. I always dont reccomend them for reef tanks. Sorry thats IMO

thanks for all your comments.
so i guess he will not have any compatibility issues with fish, and he might be able to live with the coral if i'm lucky. are there certain types of corals that they like to pick more than others, or is it just al the corals in general?
thanks.

Not sure, but I have had mine for about a year or more now and can say that he is one of my favourites. Picks at the rock all day but doesn't touch my corilamorphs etc

Not sure what type that is but mine would eat the fleshy corals like hammer and brain.

I had mine for about 2 years, it was a great tank mate (although did not like to meet new mates when they were first introduced). Beautiful fish when it would swin in the open waters. Only problems I had was with the cleaner shrimp. The shrimp was his/hers and no other fish was allowed near. Very protective over the cleaner. Many angels tend to get protective over there cleaners from what I have been told.

Unfortunately I have not seen it poke out from the rocks lately and fear that time has taken over. :(

Back
Top Bottom