Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-18-2012, 02:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How are you feeding towards bottom of tank?

I like feeding my fish an assortment of foods through a turkey blaster. But if you have to target feed, or you have to get the food to "lower level" fish, how do you feed them?

I ask because my watchman goby doesn't get as much food as the "middle" and "top" swimmers. I've been putting my arm into the tank, but I'd like to keep my hands out of the tank if at all possible.

How do you do it?

boardsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Got one of those grabbers attached to a pole and carved some of the plastic off the tips with my dremel and use that. I had the same issue with my watchman and Michael's pistol shrimp

Old 01-18-2012, 03:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Use a turkey baster or some tool like that if you are feeding frozen.
CleverBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

You can buy a long glove off amazon for about 20.00. If you must put your arm in here, the glove comes up to tour armpit. Wash he glove in a water rinse and hang dry. Try finding a food that sinks for the gobies. They are so sweet.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

For my gobies, I use a coral pipette (turkey baster will work fine as well), squirt food twice in two different places. A bit of the thawed mysis shrimp is squirt towards the top part of the tank. While the fast/mobile fish are eating that, i squirt the remainder (most of the shrimp), at the bottom toward the gobies.

This gives a chance for the mobile fish to eat at the top while the gobies can eat at peace at the bottom. Quickly enough, the mobile fish come down and finish eating the stuff near the bottom with the gobies etc.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:15 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

my yellow watchman always came up to the top.i guess mine was weird but awesome fish
Old 01-18-2012, 07:21 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

That is weird but awesome it makes feeding them so much easier. Mine is so skiddish I have to just place it in front of his cave and the shrimp comes out to get it. I rarely see my yellow watchman except at night and 5 min ago when I got home from work

Tags
bottom, feeding, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com