Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-14-2004, 12:40 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to audiosolstice
how bad of a mistake did i make?

my set up is a 65 gallon tank with a bak pak 2 and a heater with 80 punds of non-living sand....i have 58 gallons of water in it and the adequate amount of sea salt mix from the pet store.

my deal is that i put in 50 gal. of water then i dumped my 50gal mix of sea salt in the tank all at once....the deal is that when i dumped my sea salt in some disovled and the other settled on the bottom well i stirred it around and let it sit i took a salinity measurement and it was like 40 parts per thousand marking....should i wait to check it tomorow to see it if rises or did i really mess it up? thanks to all

Old 01-14-2004, 01:12 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Electrobes
you're fine... the only issue with doing what you did is that it sometimes screws the filter perpeller over.. but yeah just wait in the morning let everything mix around and make sure you stir up the undissolved particles on the ground... no biggie mistake made

Old 01-14-2004, 01:15 AM   #3
cj10488

Quote:
my deal is that i put in 50 gal. of water then i dumped my 50gal mix of sea salt in the tank all at once
I believe I did the same when I setup my 55gal tank.. I just took my hand and stirred it up REAL good.. and waited a week or so until everything temp and Salinity wise was stable then I started my cycle..

James
Old 01-14-2004, 01:58 AM   #4

thanks for the help...i apprciate it....i have another question....with my filtration set up the power head is a rio 600 should i get another power head to put in the tank to circulate the water more b/c the bak pak doesnt seem to push much wake...thanks
Old 01-14-2004, 02:00 AM   #5
cj10488

with my 55gal tank I currently have 2 maxijet 1200's and a rio 2100 retun pump.. So IMO i would think you should add atleast 2 maxijet 1200's A good place to get them from for cheap is captivereefs.com we get a 6% discount of listed price..

HTH<
James
Old 01-14-2004, 02:09 AM   #6

thanks for the advice i appreciate it.....while im here i have one last question....i have some non living coral which was left over in one of my other tanks that was sitting up for a while and there is green stuff on the coral you cant feel it but you see it and i tried pouring hot water to kill it a tooth brush it off.....is the green stuff dangerous to put in my tank on the coral or should i look of a way to get rid of it and how? thanks
Old 01-14-2004, 02:13 AM   #7
cj10488

Me personally I would scrub it with bleach to clean it then soak it in water with alot of dechlorinator for a few days to make sure there is no left over bleach on it..

HTH,
James
Old 01-14-2004, 02:33 AM   #8

thanks for the help i will try that out.....how much dechloranator put in though?
Old 01-14-2004, 02:36 AM   #9
cj10488

I would say 3-4 times the rec. dosage per gal... Some may say that as long as you rinse real well you shouldnt have to do this but I feel its better to be safe than sorry..

HTh,
James
Old 01-14-2004, 02:39 AM   #10

thats the truth especially with salt water.....thanks i appreciate it

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com