Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-01-2009, 10:50 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I will be using RO water to start, I don't have a DI unit - yet. But the Culligan filtered water at Wal-Mart is 37 cents/gal and is sediment, carbon, RO, and UV filtered, so for the immediate moment it's the best I can get. I have an whole-house RO system and another RO stand-alone to hook up for PWCs.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:06 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
I seem to be finding a lot of opinions on how frequently water changes should be performed. You talk to 4 people, and you get 6 opinions.
I'm surprised you only got 6 different opinions!

Individual tanks have different requirements. What may work for one person - and be the basis for their opinion - may lead to disaster for another person. You just have to weigh all the different opinions, understand the "why" of what they're doing, and make your own opinion.

My opinion, based on my tank... weekly 10% changes, or 20% changes every other week.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:44 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to abrahamavelar Send a message via Yahoo to abrahamavelar
you can always buy water from ur lfs mine sells it at about 20 cents per gal but i got a 6 stage ro di unit that i paid 95 bucks for on ebay
Old 12-07-2009, 02:21 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

nitrates

Floyd, I had the same problem my nitrates were 140 for years couldn't get them down. Finally I spoke with a friend who told me to remove some of the sand in my tank. I did a 25% water change removed half my rock and vacuumed up all the debris that had been under the rock you quite some time along with some of the sand also rinsed the rock in salt water to get it clean of debris. Then two weeks later I did the same to the other half and now my nitrates are 20. Hope this will help.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:33 PM   #15
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Read this

Water Changes in Reef Aquaria by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:19 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Great article, thanks!!!

Yeah he has very little sand, maybe 1cm overall coverage, and that's after he added a bag last Monday. The other stuff was starting to look pretty dirty, but I'm not sure if he removed any of it. It looks pretty clean now.

I did 2 x 18g changes this weekend on 140g system water, or effectively about 23%. The sump was super nasty, when we took the pump off we both about choked, it smelled like a sewer.

Tags
pwc

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com