Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-01-2009, 10:14 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

How big of a PWC is too big?

I'm assuming that as long as you match water conditions (salinity, pH, temp, KH) that you could theoretically do as large a percentage PWC as necessary, but is there a practical limit? Tank is a 125 with high Nitrates, so I need to get it down to a level where I can then pinpoint the problem/source (it's really high).

Old 12-01-2009, 11:00 AM   #2
Thanx but no.....

Personally I wouldn't go above 50%. If it's really that high then perhaps a large (50%), followed by successive smaller 20% until you reach your target level. I'm sure you know this, but it's only a band-aid. You need to address the cause. Nitrates is the effect.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:35 AM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I would not do more than a 50% either. IMO you sometimes change the chemical makeup of the water if you change too much at one time.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 02:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds good, since they have 125 DT and about 15 sump, effective 140g sytem water, I was going to do a large PWC of right around 50 gallons, or about 35% and then monitor the levels over a week to see how it balances out. Right now the Nitrates are over 100 ppm on my Salifert kit, and too high to really tell where it's at on API, the colors at that level just blend together. For anyone who was following my thread about starting up aquarium maintenance, it's the same system. The guy doing it now isn't addressing the issue, and the guy I thought could help them isn't doing anything consistently.

On top of that, I found another customer in a Chinese restaurant with a 125 long FOWLR, super dirty, no protein skimmer, not enough LR, no CUC, but has had no fish die in years. He's got 3 Sergeant Majors, a dog-faced puffer, and a yellow tang. One of the SMs has swollen gills to the point where it looks like something fleshy is hanging out of his gills at the bottom. Tried to get a pic to post but no luck. Nitrates off the scale on that one too.

He's also got a 225 that he had Discus in but they all died, and I'm going to set that one up as a cichlid tank with PFS substrate.

His Uncle used to take care of the tanks, and when he moved, they went downhill apparently. How the SW has even survived without a skimmer I have no idea.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I seem to be finding a lot of opinions on how frequently water changes should be performed. You talk to 4 people, and you get 6 opinions. I have read that on a reef system, you should plan on doing a 10% PWC weekly, or at least a 20% PWC every other week.

Someone today told me that in an established reef system of 125g, you could get away with doing one 20% PWC every month.

Doesn't that seem a little extreme? I mean, I do 30-40% every 7 to 10 days on my FW planted tank, granted it's packed full, but I would think I reef system would need at least 10% a week, unless it's lightly stocked and well taken care of. Am I wrong?
Old 12-01-2009, 09:00 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Floyd, which ever you decide, a 20% PWC is better then two 10% because you are removing much more DOC's with the 20% then with the two 10%.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:59 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to abrahamavelar Send a message via Yahoo to abrahamavelar
are u using ro di water?????????? that might also help
Old 12-01-2009, 10:07 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thincat View Post
Floyd, which ever you decide, a 20% PWC is better then two 10% because you are removing much more DOC's with the 20% then with the two 10%.
Not really. of the intial volume your are removing 20% with a 20% water change and 19% with 2 10% water changes.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:34 PM   #9
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdaniel2882 View Post
Not really. of the intial volume your are removing 20% with a 20% water change and 19% with 2 10% water changes.
how does 10% X 2 = 19%?

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:47 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
how does 10% X 2 = 19%?
Example:

100 gallons

Change 10% (10 gallons)

result: 90 gallons original, 10 gallons new

Change 10 gallons again, you are changing 90% original and 10% new, or 9 gallons of original

10+9=19 gallons effective water change.

Tags
pwc

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com