How can I get rid of coraline algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Retired_AF

Aquarium Advice FINatic
When I put my tank together I intentionally put coraline algae into it. I like the way it looks on the rocks. I just hate the way it covers the glass and everything else. Is there a way to get rid of coralline without completely tearing down the tank and starting over?

A razor blade, just carefully scrape the glass (if it's acrylic just forget it).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That's what I do now and it is becoming a pain since I got a canopy top now and I almost have to take it completely off to get inside the tank. When I clean it off it just comes back.

I had a long spine urchin till it got too big and he kept the tank clean of coralline

Sent from the Death Star

Is there not some fancy gizmo to slow down the tank producing as many nutrients as it is?
(You can probably tell I've never touched a saltwater tank..)

If you have a magnetic glass cleaner they sell a blade attachment that glues onto it. I find that easier than a long handled scraper. And the blade can be removed for normal cleaning.

They do have the magnetic glass scrapers that have a razor blade attached to it so you don't have to reach in the tank

Sent from the Death Star

One I got called flipper magnet,great tool for the glass

Ok, thanks. I have never seen a blade attachment for a magnetic cleaner but I will definitely search for one now.

An old credit card is all you need for coraline algae.

Man, I have been bending the stainless steel blades on my scraper and have put so much pressure on it that the handle bends. I just had a canopy top built with my new LED lights and cannot reach the trouble spots where the algae grows fastest. The tank is 48" wide x 33" high and 13" deep so it's tough getting it done. I'm afraid the credit cards wont work. Besides, wouldnt the salt water mess up the magnetic tape on the card?

The back glass, the coraline can grow and I dont care. I just dont want it on the front or sides. Yeah, I'm being picky, but I can't stand those spots on the front glass and I like looking through the sides of the tank so I can see anything going on back there. I would rather not have any than put up with leaving them right in my line of sight.

Many of us could do without it, especially when it grows so fast it grows over power heads and jams them all up.

Exactly! That's why I was wondering how to get rid of it without starting completely from scratch.

Everything requires maintenance or it'll get out of control. I have a massive birds nest colony in my tank that got so large at the top it starved the bottom for light. Just trimming it would have probably prevented this and it getting so overwhelmingly large.

Back
Top Bottom