Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-14-2013, 03:38 PM   #11

How long after I put my shrimp in the tank should I then put in my bacteria source? And how much of each should I put in knowing that it is a 75 gallon reef?

Old 11-14-2013, 04:02 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would think both going in a the same time is okay. I've never used the product you are using. Dr Tim's says you can't overdose (with the BB) so I buy the amount they recommend and just throw it all in there. I actually bought a little less this last time as I already had some live rock in there. Still took less than a week.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:02 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by csoutherland View Post
How long after I put my shrimp in the tank should I then put in my bacteria source? And how much of each should I put in knowing that it is a 75 gallon reef?
The bacteria convert one into the other as the previous one lowers & the next one rises. The bacteria in the bottle are in a dormant state. Once they're exposed to ammonia they IMMEDIATELY start working. This has been scientifically proven. For this reason you can skip the dead shrimp or fish technique & go straight to adding fish since the fish will provide a source of ammonia for the bacteria. Besides, as it is you're already getting a reading from your live rock right? REMEMBER, like I said before, we need enough bacteria in your tank in order for the cycle to happen as quickly as possible so the fish aren't exposed to ammonia for a long time. I woould just add at least 12oz maybe three bottles. The more the better. You should also start of with a just 2 or 3 small fish so we can be on the safe side & not have too much ammonia & from their after a week or so you can add more. Some of the bacteria bottles out there are sold by companies that don't do their research & what you get in the bottle are heterotrophic bacteria which process organic rather then autotrophic bacteria that process nitrogen. That's why it's usually better to go by brands known for this like instant ocean biro spira or Dr. Tim's one & only.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:21 PM   #14

I just put in 2 pieces of raw shrimp in my tank. How long should I wait to add bacteria? And how long and effective should this be?
Old 11-14-2013, 06:51 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick seastar View Post
The bacteria convert one into the other as the previous one lowers & the next one rises. The bacteria in the bottle are in a dormant state. Once they're exposed to ammonia they IMMEDIATELY start working. This has been scientifically proven. For this reason you can skip the dead shrimp or fish technique & go straight to adding fish since the fish will provide a source of ammonia for the bacteria. Besides, as it is you're already getting a reading from your live rock right? REMEMBER, like I said before, we need enough bacteria in your tank in order for the cycle to happen as quickly as possible so the fish aren't exposed to ammonia for a long time. I woould just add at least 12oz maybe three bottles. The more the better. You should also start of with a just 2 or 3 small fish so we can be on the safe side & not have too much ammonia & from their after a week or so you can add more. Some of the bacteria bottles out there are sold by companies that don't do their research & what you get in the bottle are heterotrophic bacteria which process organic rather then autotrophic bacteria that process nitrogen. That's why it's usually better to go by brands known for this like instant ocean biro spira or Dr. Tim's one & only.
I'd like to see the scientific studies that prove this...and not Mr salt water tanks videos....lol.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:59 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
I'd like to see the scientific studies that prove this...and not Mr salt water tanks videos....lol.
Are you questioning whether the bacteria works or the idea of adding fish and the bacteria waking up right away? I'm not sure about the later, but I have used Dr Tim's three times and my tanks have all cycled in about a week, so i am a firm beleiver in their product. If it did not work, I can't come up with a way to explain that quick of a cycle. I'm still not a fan of exposing fish to ammonia or nitrites at all, as that can't be very pleasant, even for a day, so I go with dosing ammonia.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:01 PM   #17

I just put in 2 pieces of raw shrimp in my tank. How long should I wait to add bacteria? And how long and effective should this be?
Old 11-14-2013, 07:10 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Hahaha yeah I hear ya. The product is based on the results of research by Dr Hovanec and his coworkers while working as employees for Marineland. 3 papers were published which identified specific species of Nitrosomonas and Nitrospira as the main autotrophic nitrifiying bacteria in home aquariums.

Comparative analysis of nitrifying bacteria associated with freshwater and marine aquaria.
Nitrosomonas Nm143-like ammonia oxidizer... [FEMS Microbiol Ecol. 2008] - PubMed - NCBI
Identification and Activities In Situ of Nitrosospiraand Nitrospira spp. as Dominant Populations in a Nitrifying Fluidized Bed Reactor
Old 11-15-2013, 02:42 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You can add the bacteria any time. The shrimp are probably already putting a good amount of ammonia in the tank.
Be warned.....maybe every cycle is different, but cycling with those shrimp smells pretty nasty. We have our tank in the bedroom, and those first couple days after I put the shrimp in were brutal, but luckily it only lasted a few days.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:31 PM   #20

Btw... one thing I have to go back on is the fact that the amount of bacteria from the bottle you put in will only survive with appropriate amount of fish. So, if you put two bottles in & you only have 1 fish... the amount of bacteria able to feed on that fish's ammonia are the only one's that will survive. So put in the amount appropriate for the amount of fish you'll put in. You never wanna put a full fish load without putting in the correct amount of bacteria. Unless you do that you'll just have to go adding fish by fish in a matter of weeks or months.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com