How did you cycle your nano tank? Details & best test ki

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Florida8

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I will add my water and rock a week from today... What can I expect cycling with shrimp? Water changes? Things have changed a bit since I set up my 1st tank back in the day when you used live damsels to cycle. How long will the cycle take approx. in this size tank with LR & and shrimp?

I will be using the 12 gallon mini bow and using live rubble in the HOB filter... should I add that after the cycle? What about a PH? What about running carbon - which I always did in the 55g? The only other thing is the Test kit.... which is the best and most accurate? And salt mix? There are a lot to choose instead of just IO like years ago.

Also, I don't have a RO system but there is a place here to buy it... are there any things I need to ask to make sure there is nothing hidden that could be harmful? Or should I just grab a type of shelf bottles water like distilled?

Sorry for all the questions.. but having a smaller tank I want to get it right the 1st time and avoid any mistakes :)

Thanks in advance,
Warmly,
Kimberly

you can add the lr right away.

BUY THE RO water! Its cheap (especially for the nano) and will help prevent cyano.

water change 2 1/2 gal every 2 weeks or i'm thinking for mine 1 1/4 a week.

not sure about the carbon.

Jim

Definitely run the carbon. I assume you will not be running a protein skimmer, so IMO the carbon is a must. The carbon will remove dissolved organics and because you will be doing frequent water changes (i would do about 10% once a week) you will not have to worry about the carbon's effect on trace elements.

I would use a powerhead for better water circulation. I also recommend using Oceanic salt because it is high in calcium. I assume you will be maintaining calcium through water changes. HTH

Back
Top Bottom