Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-04-2005, 12:41 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic
MrBill, do you have Turbo (Astrea) snails? I had lots of hair algae and they took care of it real quick.

Gatorfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 12:53 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist
I have some small ones, but they're not putting a dent in the algae. I also had a few mexican turbos, but they all died recently after about a year in the tank. I also have a bunch of hermits and they are doing next to nothing to eradicate the algae.

"Caution: Cape does not enable user to fly." -Batman Costume warning label
Mrbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 01:51 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via AIM to ericosuave
I got rid of most of my algae by taking most of it out with my hand.. as much as i could possible.. than i bought tons of hermit crabs to take care of the rest.. I actually took a couple of the rocks out and scrubbed them clean. tank looks great now!
ericosuave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 05:25 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via MSN to arminkropp
I Went and got 22 Turbos and a yellow Tang yesterday and today I can notice a BIG difference in my Hair algae! I mean the Yellow Tang started eating hair algae after about an hour in my tank. The Turbos are actually leaving cleared trails in the hair algae from where they've been. considering its only been 20 Hours I'm impressed!
I'll be getting hermits next week and perhaps some Peppermint shrimp. Me thinks the hair algea is gonna go bye bye! (i hope )

And I know some people that are saying"he didn't Qt the tang!" no I didnt. I'm taking a risk, right now the hair algae is the greater of two evils. in my opinion.
arminkropp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 05:33 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I used snails with shorter light cycles and carefully monitored food. I still had lots of algae that I'd occasionally have to pull from the tank.

When I changed the bulb in my UV sterilizer, my algae completely disappeared -enough that I was concerned that my PBT wouldn't have anything to graze on.
We'll be fighting in the streets with our children at our feet, and the morals that they worshipped will be gone.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 06:06 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak
The best way to keep algae down IMO is to keep it packed with inverts.
I agree! I had a major hair algea problem for months,bought a 8 huge turbo snails and within a week they clean all my rocks and then went to work on my glass. Now, then only place that i have to scrape algea is the front of my tank. also I bought and 1 emerald crab and 3 sally lightfoots. Now that I look back I dont know why I even waited so long to get inverts
90 gal SW tank / cascade 700 canister fliter / Coralife super skimmer / 3x402 PH / 100lbs LS / 80 lbs LR / 30lbs base rock / 2x65w & 2x96w PC / 2 moonlights
PiscesLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 08:27 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular
My algae problem was given to me! A friend had his tank for 9 years, got tired of the upkeep, and let it go. When I rescued it, the thing was so full of hair algae that it looked like all the Muppets were having sex inside the tank.
During the move to my house, we scrubbed every piece of LR, cleaned the glass with a razor blade, and got rid of all the water. Since then, about 6 weeks ago, I have acquired 6 Astrea snails that hunt down algae for a living. Doing 10 - 15% water change every week with Distilled Water has helped tremendously. My friend had an RO system at his house, but in the 7 years he was there, he only changed the carts and filters once! Now you can surely guess where the alge farm came from.

The other key factor here besides excellent husbandry would be patience!

Looking forward to the all purple coraline display look in my reef soon!
29gal BB | 42+ lbs LR | 143watts PC | Asst. Leathers, Frogspawn, Hammer, XLG Open Brain, Zoanthids, Mushrooms, Diploastrea heliopora | Blue Mandarin | Atrosalarias Fuscus | Pair Captive Bred Ocellaris Clowns | Peppermint Shrimp | 6 Astrea's |
Smo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 08:30 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via AIM to jeff8183
I had a big problem with hair aglae and got some sally light foot crabs and those things are awesome, they never stop working just eating all day long. If hair algae is your problem these crabs are for you
jeff8183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 10:51 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular
The only thing that I hate about getting snails, is even if they are in there for only one day, they will lay so many freakin babies its not funny. Then yo have them climbing all over your walls. Good treats for chichlids though...lol
buggsmarinetank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 01:20 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to Jonathan G.
i got a feather duster and he loves it when i take my mag float to my tank, i also have 10 big turbos; they look like mexican turbos, about 10 astrea snails, 1 emerald and 1 red mythrax crabs and about 30 of the tiniest blue hermits, oh and also alawnmower blenny and i just set up my tank in febuary and they have been doing a great job cleaning the tank and rocks. i had a little bit of an like brown algea outbreak after i set up my PC's but i have shortened their time and put in a few phosphate pads just in case i had a little bit of a phosohate problem. it seemed to have halted the problem but it still is growing slowly, i think it might just be a phase im going through since i set up my tank recently

Jonathan G. is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com