How did you test your floor (or did you?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prissysmom

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone,

Just getting started on my 75g FOWLR and I want to make sure it doesn't crash through the floor. Or is this silly to worry about?

My tank is on the main floor and we have a basement underneath. I'm sure it's probably ok but how did yall check? or did you even worry about this?

Also,

Is it worth it to but a RO system or just buy it from my LFS? they sell it for .50 a gallon. It's about 20 minutes from my house.

A 75 will be fine on your floor. If possible though you want to make sure it is perpendicular to the floor studs. Gives it more support across a few studs instead of long ways across just one or two.

For a tank that size it is definitely worth buying a ro/di unit and mixing your self. You can pick them up for a reasonable price on ebay.

Thank you Pat

Can you (or anyone) recommend a good brand name to look into? Preferably one that will not require me to mess with any of the plumbing (we are renting)

your floor should be fine, just run it across the joists not with them. Mine was a 90 in a 2nd floor apt.

You`ll be fine Lucy. I have a 125 with a 40 gallon sump under it and it does fine. As far as the RO/DI you can go to ebay and get one for just over a hundred dollars.

Thanks but I had a bad experience with buying from EBAY and since then I never go there to buy anything.

Now amazon.com is another story:D

A name brand will help me so much

Hi there :)

I recently purchased a unit, the Kent Maxxima RO/Di 24 gallons per day at Direct Aquatics. Their price was about $50 less than other sites but their shipping rate is pretty high. With shipping, the cost of the unit was about the same as the other sites that included shipping in the cost. THe only problem is timing. It takes forever as this particular company takes 2 - 3, (or 4 or 5) business days before they actually ship, then, their standard shipping rate is 3 days via UPS. In other words, it took a full 10 days from date of the actual order to get the unit and I live less than 100 miles away from the place.

There are all kinds of RO/DI units out there at a cost between about $150 up to $300 plus for the larger capacity. Since I only have about 50 gallons worth of saltwater tanks, I don't have a huge capacity unit.

I bought mine from bulk reef supply and have been very happy with it, comes with adapters for your faucet and just don't install the drain line into your plumbing, just drain the waste water down your sink

I am planning to get this.
with shipping I think its about $190, you can search for used one on ebay or where ever.
5 Stage Reverse Osmosis Deionization System Bulk Reef Supply

Thank you, I think I will get this one too. Question though. Which of these options do I need (if any) for an initial start up?

Add Pressure Gauge ( + $14.99 )
Add Flush Kit ( + $9.99 )
Add Single TDS Meter ( + $21.99 )
Add Dual TDS Meter ( + $24.99 )
Add Float Valve ( + $12.99 )
Add 5 Stage Replacement Filters ( + $24.9

Thank you, I think I will get this one too. Question though. Which of these options do I need (if any) for an initial start up?

Add Pressure Gauge ( + $14.99 )
Add Flush Kit ( + $9.99 )
Add Single TDS Meter ( + $21.99 )
Add Dual TDS Meter ( + $24.99 )
Add Float Valve ( + $12.99 )
Add 5 Stage Replacement Filters ( + $24.9

all these things are not needed but nice to have. you need 60 psi at the inlet to get the advertised flow rates. the pressure gauge measures this. the flush kit pushes fast moving water past the membrane to "clean" some of the stuff off it. I don't know its value on a 75 gpd system. TDS meter is nice to make sure your system is giving you 0 TDS water. The double can be plumbed before and after the DI stage to measure the performance of the RO and the DI. you don't need a float valve unless you are going to be making up large batches of water in a tub. It is used to turn the system off when your container is full. Pretty good deal on the replacement filters but the ones that come with it should be good for 6 mths to a year. Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom