Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-13-2005, 06:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How do Green Star Polyps spread?

Do new ones pop up next to the existing ones or does something go airborne (err... waterborne?) and land elsewhere?

Old 01-13-2005, 07:26 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
have a powerhead blowing on them in the direction you want, but to be honest, after awhile you will be trimming back. they tend to spread easy.

ReefRaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 07:49 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

GSP are what are known as "encrusting corals". They spread much in the same manner as coraline algea does over rocks (but much slower).
Old 01-13-2005, 11:40 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
Quote:
Originally Posted by lando
They spread much in the same manner as coraline algea does over rocks (but much slower).
I think mine actually grow faster than coraline
Old 01-14-2005, 08:00 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Mine are spreading pretty quick too!
Old 01-14-2005, 09:28 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
From my experence this is what I have seen. Newly introduced GSP or SP's in general will spread somewhat slowly at first. Its as if they need to acclomate to the tank conditions for a period of time. Then all of a sudden they will take off spreading upward to a couple inches a month. They will lay down a purple mat over the rock and the polpyps will extend from there.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 09:43 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal-188
Quote:
Originally Posted by lando
They spread much in the same manner as coraline algea does over rocks (but much slower).
I think mine actually grow faster than coraline
mine grow about 5Xs as fast as correline. also, they don't need light to spread, i cut a piece of the mat off to frag them somewhere else and it fell behind a bunch of rock where no light was...... that mat is growing up the glass now, no polyps but the mat is spreading.

the strand I have might be unusual, I know about 6 people that bought stuff from my lfs have the same strand I do because a little piece fell of of my rock and spread over about 5 rocks with mushrooms!............. I have an extremely healthy strand of it though, not very pretty but VERY healthy. this a pic from about 2 months ago, it's mat is all over the back glass and has taken over every rock it is touching

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/download.php?id=9449

sorry I can't get the "[img]" code to work so that's the best I can do
Old 01-14-2005, 10:33 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

here's a pic of mine up close. sorry for the not so perfect pic. if you look on the back of the glass you'll see where it's starting to spread.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:53 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I love these spreading star polyps, but would it be safe to assume that as it spreads along your live rock, that rock loses it's effectiveness as a filter?

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 05:02 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Mine is under the power head and it is spreading like weed.

Tags
polyp, polyps, star, star polyp, star polyps

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com