How do I feed my Tridacna Crocea Clam?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cunningham

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey I just got a Tridacna Crocea clam a few days ago and I put it on a small rock so if I need to move it I can move the whole rock and it's up near the light and in a medium current but I was wondering what I should feed it and how? I've bin squirting Kent Marine ChromoPlex right at it where it opens

Saltwater Aquarium Clams for Marine Aquariums: Crocea Clam

The key is they need high lighting and as far as supplemental feeding

"Tridacna clams are also filter feeders and constantly filter the water for small particulates. Crocea Clams larger than 2" do not require supplemental feedings, but smaller T. crocea that are less than 2" should be fed a phytoplankton or greenwater supplement several times per week if maintained in a nutrient poor reef aquarium. "

Hopefully he`s over 2 inches.

that's a myth about the smaller clams needing supplemental feeding. i know that from experience. i grew twelve 1" clams to about 2.5" with just proper parameters and lighting.

do not squirt anything in the clam. you could kill it very easily like that. if you feel the need to feed it, you could prepare a container of tank water and put the phyto in that and put the clam in that container for a little while, so it doesn't foul your water.
you should also move the clam to the bottom...and slowly work it's way upwards to higher light. like corals, you can shock them with too much too soon.

Oh wow ok well mine is prolly like 3 inches he's kinda big but ya im just gonna squirt a bit of the phytoplankton in my water cuz my other corals will eat it too but I def. Won't squirt it anymore right in the clam
Thanks

that's a myth about the smaller clams needing supplemental feeding. i know that from experience. i grew twelve 1" clams to about 2.5" with just proper parameters and lighting.

do not squirt anything in the clam. you could kill it very easily like that. if you feel the need to feed it, you could prepare a container of tank water and put the phyto in that and put the clam in that container for a little while, so it doesn't foul your water.
you should also move the clam to the bottom...and slowly work it's way upwards to higher light. like corals, you can shock them with too much too soon.

Yes the 2" thing is a myth.
But feeding it in a seperate container? I've read an acrticle about how this can clog something(i forgot what) of the clam and kill it. Im not saying listen to me but thats just what i read. It was on one of the millions gaint clams article on the net.

i have heard of folks that would put a clam in a tupperware container with some phyto (phytoplankton is so small it appears as completely liquid) and in a few minutes the water was clear. i'm not talking about large particulate matter.

btw, i don't encourage ANY clam feeding though. just good lighting and water parameters.

Back
Top Bottom