how do i figure out powerhead flow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guitarded

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have a 75gal tank. how do i know how many powerheads to use and how many gph for each powerhead? i am also planning on using a sump return pump (btw, how do i know what capacity return pump to purchase).

let's assume for now that tank will be setup for FOWLR.

also any suggestions on brands/model and why would be appreciated!

ok, reading some other posts, i see that 10 to 20 times is about right.

any recommendations on brands/models?

I prefer to use more smaller ph's instead of less larger one's. You can get a more creative random current with multiple heads. For a 75g, 3 ph's would be better than 2.

On my 75 gal I have two Hagen 802 powerheads one on either back corner blowing toward the middle front. They alternate on/off every 10 minutes with a timer. Each of these puts out close to 400GPH. I couple this flow with the flow of my Mag7.5 from the sump.

I have a 72 gal. with two Maxi-jets 1200 (300 gph) and return flow from my sump with a Mag 7. It seems to create enough flow...Lando

fishfreak,

i took your advice and got the same pumps. i like the idea of a timer to alternate pumps (and save electricity).

Probably just a cheap timer form wally world. You can get a digital for around $14 or the other non-digital for around $6. :wink:

revhtree said:
Probably just a cheap timer form wally world. You can get a digital for around $14 or the other non-digital for around $6. :wink:

can't set the el cheapos to go on and off every 10 min though :(
I use the el cheapos for my lights and my 2 maxijet 1200 run 24 7

XXFirefighter, do you like the 1200's? I was thinking of getting two Maxi-Jet 900's for my 55gal, but I sure would hate to want more later! (the story of my life...)

Boardsurfer,
What setup for Maxijets did you decide to go with and did you get a timer for them or run the 24/7?

you can't set the timer options to what you need it to be with cheap wal-mart timers.
check out coralife's powerstrip/timer combo. You can set your lights on a timer or your Powerheadsl so that awsome wave action can be easily achived.

here you go: http://secure.microbyte.net/virtual/webaquatics/onlinestore/detail.cfm?ID=CL01690&storeid=1

you will have to copy and paste because the stupid acronym feature won't go away.

Also check out the Red Sea Wavemaster pro. Creates random alternating currents for up to 3 PHs, has a nite time (8hr) calm period, and a feeding cycle when all three shut down for 10 minutes or so. Got options for reef and fish to set. My corals seem to have reacted well to the random flows.

About $130 brought and shipped.

Back
Top Bottom