Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-21-2012, 12:30 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism

Sorry but the fact the skimmers dont produce nitrates and wet/drys, canisters, and powerfilters do is not debatable its a fact. Cleaning them often may reduce the problem but it is still producing nitrates. Refugiums are not needed, can they reduce nitrates? Yes, but they are also another piece that needs maintained regularly.

Been running reefs now over 8 years. Skimmer and live rock works every time 0 nitrates. The only thing you lose without a canister/wetdry/powerfilter is a small degree of mechanical filtration that can easily be picked up with filter socks when need and WATERCHANGES.
They first off technically do not produce nitrates. And don't you think that hole little set up for your skimmer would withhold some nitrates? Yes they will. And no fuges do not need maintained? What needs maintained? And if we wanna compare this had tanks for 17 years about 15 reefs since my first from half gallon picos to 125 gallon reefs fully thriving. 2 years employment at the largest fish store in the south east. You had some migrated don't say you didn't. Also in those filters its more than just mechanical filtration also chemical via carbon,gfo,macros, etc.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:34 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfiereefer

He gave me the same advice about ditching my canister , and I was like this guy is &$*• crazy , but when I stopped to think it dose make A LOT of sense.
Fish poop = nitrates ( very basic )
Canister pulls form tank and traps in filter media

Skimmer pulls organically to cup and out of tank

The canister may remove it from the tank , but it dose not remove it from the water since all water will continue to flow through filter.

Skimmer pulls to cup .... End of story

After I though about it like that , it makes a lot of sense. Best way to prevent nitrates is to remove the source , not to just put it in another location :-/

And as for refuge , I agree not necessary but helpful since it will increase total water volume making keeping thing easier to stabilize. And will provide food for sps and pod reproduction

Also schism , after 2 50% changes trates are down to 5 ppm and no new canyo growth , only some brown dead canyo ^_^ ( is is also with just my skimmer no canister )

That could have been in my canister but is now out of the tank
To actually correct you. Skimmers pull out disolved organics. So in this theory a canister filter will pull them out before breaking down so if you keep up with maintaining your filter your eliminating the need for a skimmer. And fuges the macros thrive on nitrates and phosphates. So...

Old 05-21-2012, 12:38 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism

Very nice post that is a perfect understanding of the concept. And yes it will lead to less problems with canister gone.

Filter socks should not be used at all times. Only to remove large debris, maybe only keeping in for a day and removing. Absolutely no need to keep in at all times and can cause problems too especially if they get clogged. Im not saying canisters cant work, but there is a better way, and it requires less work, money, and reduces nitrate buildup.

Its a crazy concept for some people to wrap their head around but you are right in that good maintenance is key, anything can work pretty decently if its maintained like it should be. Doesnt usually happen like that tho with many.

Export is number one in a reef. Better out than in.
Filter socks will lead to a reduction of micro bubbles. Isnt that what we are discussing? And if someone doesn't wanna do the work they don't deserve a tank. I've ran overstocked nano reefs with just a fuge. SPS was growing like crazy.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:44 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

So all you need is a skimmer to run a reef tank? Nobody said anything about a sump. Are u all assuming that everyone has one? I don't think that the individual who started this thread said anything about having a sump. Just trying to understand if anyone is even giving this person advice or just arguing about who knows best. I don't have a sump but I do run a canister. My skimmer is a hob. Should I just remove my canister? I'm no expert but I know that what I'm doing works. No micro bubbles either.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:49 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

There is fact and opinion. You guys act like im saying canister dont work. Im not saying that, im saying there is a better way.

What good is a skimmer if your not using it properly. What makes you think that canisters are better? How does a canister help any part of a reef tank? What are you gaining?

It hurts more than it helps. This is my advice you do not have to agree with it.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:02 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Video: http://youtu.be/W9lQNMRq8yI
Old 05-21-2012, 01:54 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Why is ur water level so low? U like the air stones? It's may b just me but I don't care for any air bubbles in salt water tanks. U need power heads. Raise ur water level that will probably help
Old 05-21-2012, 03:34 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just run live rock and a skimmer and have 0 nitrate. But I don't run and substrate, always go bare bottom so no junk can get bound up in the sand.

Just sayin.....
Old 05-21-2012, 03:40 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Newbie

As of right now my water level is about an inch under the black border, I didn't know it was supposed to be filled up so high. I originally added the air stone because someone at the fish store told me it was good to have more oxygen in the water, so I thought it was doing good. What functionality do power heads provide and what do they attach to? I don't have a sump just the 2 HOB's.

I have one 15lb pound bag of black Hawaiian sand in the tank at the moment.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:53 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

Power heads mount on ur glass by suction cups, circulate ur water and will help with oxygen in ur tank. If u like the air stones keep them but not very common in saltwater. Fill ur tank with water. Use every square inch of tank u have. Makes it easier to keep a healthy tank. More water the better. You don't need a sump but very helpful. I don't have one but plan on adding one soon. Lots of benefits.

Tags
bubble, bubbles, micro

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com