Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-02-2013, 10:30 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lower the water level in the overflow. The water is coming into the inside box and creating a ton of bubbles which then get sucked into the tube and build up. The water should flow down the inside walls of the box to create less bubbles.

What amount of flow are you putting through the overflow? If lowering the water level doesn't completely solve the problem then you need to increase flow through the box. Bubbles collecting in the tube of this type of overflow is generally a sign of not enough flow through the box.

You can drill a hole in the tube but then you need to hook a power head to it to pull out the air. This type of overflow does not need this mod like the other type (like a CPR overflow) does. As I said above, this is usually a sign that there is not enough flow to push small air bubbles all the way through the tube.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:49 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

How do I increase the the flow through the syphon? And there's no bubbles going into the overflow box.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:40 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

It looked very turbulent in that pic above and very much like the water level in the overflow was too high.

That's the only way bubbles can get into the tube. There will always be some, of course, but if, as you say, it is not overly bubbly then you need to increase flow through the overflow box by upgrading your return pump (or turning it up if you have that option). I am flowing 150(ish)gph through my Eshopps 300 overflow. At around 100gph it starts to accumulate bubbles in the tube as the syphon just isn't strong enough to push the bubbles through.
Had a big bubble in my tube a couple of nights ago. Though to myself, "what the hell!". For ten months not a single issue and now a big bubble accumulates? Found the suction cup from my ground probe had come loose and was sucked up against the intake of the return pump. Removed it and the bubble was purged within a few minutes.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:17 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blert View Post
It looked very turbulent in that pic above and very much like the water level in the overflow was too high.

That's the only way bubbles can get into the tube. There will always be some, of course, but if, as you say, it is not overly bubbly then you need to increase flow through the overflow box by upgrading your return pump (or turning it up if you have that option). I am flowing 150(ish)gph through my Eshopps 300 overflow. At around 100gph it starts to accumulate bubbles in the tube as the syphon just isn't strong enough to push the bubbles through.
Had a big bubble in my tube a couple of nights ago. Though to myself, "what the hell!". For ten months not a single issue and now a big bubble accumulates? Found the suction cup from my ground probe had come loose and was sucked up against the intake of the return pump. Removed it and the bubble was purged within a few minutes.
I agree, once I started the tank up it was lower in the box now for some reason the water level in the box is higher then usual. I do have the option to increase the flow of my return pump. I'm pretty sure the lowest is 600GPH and the highest is 1100GPH not sure what it's set on right now. By increasing the pump you think it will help with the noise? Tomorrow I will try this and see if it eliminates the bubble! thanks for the help! What size tank are you using your eshopps on?
Old 08-03-2013, 12:32 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

A 40b.

What kind of noise? If it is gurgling then a Hofer Gurgle Buster is what you need (I posted the link above). Costs about five bucks to make and will eliminate all gurgling and slurping from the overflow.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:56 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blert View Post
A 40b.

What kind of noise? If it is gurgling then a Hofer Gurgle Buster is what you need (I posted the link above). Costs about five bucks to make and will eliminate all gurgling and slurping from the overflow.
Yeah I was thinking about that too I'm just not that great with PVC I'll probably just end up doing it anyways I just know its gonna be challenging I guess. Yes the sound is a gurgle, but since you've brought up the over flow box being a little to high that kind of concerns me.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:32 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Take about a 12 inch piece of airline tubing and stick it down the clear tube that is in the pvc pipe in your overflow. YouTube has a video. Search how to quiet eshopp 800 overflow
Old 08-03-2013, 09:53 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan M. View Post
Yeah I was thinking about that too I'm just not that great with PVC I'll probably just end up doing it anyways I just know its gonna be challenging I guess. Yes the sound is a gurgle, but since you've brought up the over flow box being a little to high that kind of concerns me.
It is not hard at all and the is no glueing involved, just cutting and drilling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueerfan View Post
Take about a 12 inch piece of airline tubing and stick it down the clear tube that is in the pvc pipe in your overflow. YouTube has a video. Search how to quiet eshopp 800 overflow
This works too, yup.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:13 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks guys for all the help! just stuck the air line tubing down the drain pipe and it worked!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com