How do I place frags?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

classklown90

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello all, im going to be buying two frags today, some sort of mushroom and maybe a pom pom xenia, my question is how exactly do i place them in my tank? I know people say to superglue them but they will be coming on the clay frag circles so do i remove them from that? or do I glue that to my rock?

It depends. In your case I would place the plug that it comes on. Softies are hard to glue. You are better off using something like bridal veil to hold them against some rock or rock rubble till they attach. Yours are already coming attached. You can cut the end of the plug off, or if they are just the circular one, you can glue those to the rock where you want the coral to grow. Aquastik (2 part epoxy putty) is also a good choice. It comes in grey or red.

I'd wait before fixing them in place. Move them around to see where they respond the best for a few weeks before you affix them. JMO

oh ya thanks for reminding me hn1 start out by putting the frags at the bottom of the tank so they can get use to your lighting instead of the lfs's lighting then start moving them around till you find the perfect place for it then leave it there for a little then put it down

okay thanks guys! they are assimilating now, i got a mushroom frag and a torch frag, both look great, ill get pics up once they adjust

You can't glue mushrooms or use putty with too much luck. Just place the disc/plug near where you want it to live and over a few months it will crawl off the disc/plug and plant itself on your rock. And then it will continue to crawl and leave behind little babies.

The torch can be glued or epoxied into the rock work, once you find a good spot.

Back
Top Bottom