How do I position these stupid things?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

InfernoST

Aquarium Advice Addict
:confused: I picked up two Koralia #3 circulating pumps for additional flow in the tank which should bring up my flow to about 2400 gph which should be enough, however they don't indicate the best positioning for these critters. Can someone give some insight on how to best position these things. The tank in question is a fresh start up 120 FOWLR. Thanx all.:confused:

It will vary on your rock arrangement, but a decent starting point would be to place the flow intersecting in a V at the front.

It will vary on your rock arrangement, but a decent starting point would be to place the flow intersecting in a V at the front.
Put the pumps upper rear extreme (left/right) and position them in a downward position toward the front center of the tank? What exactly is this doing for my tank?

It's mainly trial and error. Every tank has a different set of rockwork so the pump has to be positioned so you have as few dead spots as possible. That V position with the two pumps in back facing front and center sort of hits the two currents from the two Koralias togetherto form a chaotic and random flow pattern.

It's mainly trial and error. Every tank has a different set of rockwork so the pump has to be positioned so you have as few dead spots as possible. That V position with the two pumps in back facing front and center sort of hits the two currents from the two Koralias togetherto form a chaotic and random flow pattern.
The intention is to have as much circulation through the rocks as possible?

Yes and no. You don't want constant flow directly at a rock or nothing will ever be able to attach. Some corals like higher flow, some like lower. The object (at least AFAIK) is to create a random pattern to somewhat immitate the way flow would be coming over a reef in nature. You obviously don't want any completely dead spots either.

I have mine so that the flow basically skims the top of the rocks closest to them and the flows meet in a V at the front glass. Like TC said, it's mostly trial and error.

Yes and no. You don't want constant flow directly at a rock or nothing will ever be able to attach. Some corals like higher flow, some like lower. The object (at least AFAIK) is to create a random pattern to somewhat immitate the way flow would be coming over a reef in nature. You obviously don't want any completely dead spots either.

I have mine so that the flow basically skims the top of the rocks closest to them and the flows meet in a V at the front glass. Like TC said, it's mostly trial and error.
Thanx HN1, Now that I have a better understanding it is much clearer on what i have to do. I like the magnet thing it makes them easy to adjust.

Between you and HN1 I know have a plan, Thanks a lot.

I would suggest placing into an imaginary "x" in the aquarium angled towards the surface.

so i have placed my 2 #4 in the top left/right corners pointing to center front of tank and the flow has carved a huge crater in my sand. I have about 2/3 inches of sand and it is now down to the bare glass in the center. - would it be better for me to put them on front of tank pointing back and rock, or just place them like center left/right with a more upward pointing flow!

Try not angling them so much in the down direction, maybe try straight and let the currents collide with each other in the center of the front of the glass. Could even try pointing slightly up and creating a little surface aggitation for more surface area. Just a couple of ideas to try.

pointing them up and agitating the water seems to work for me. I think the ripples all over the surface help aid gas exchange...also helps add a little shimmering effect when you don't have MH lights!!

Tank, I was looking for that layout all day today. Thanks, now I don't have to look anymore.

Thanks guys, I positioned the Koralia 3's as depicted in option 2. As of now My LR is just in the tank and all off the rocks have some sort of current flowing around them, some areas of flow are much stronger then the others. This will change as I'm going to make an attempt @ aquascaping later today.

Positioning the right locations for you PHs all depend on your rock set up. I have to move mine several times and still have some dead spots. Once you start to have soft corals in your tank, you can judge your set up better by looking at their "waving" action. I place the corals in the locations as dictated by their water flow requirements. If you do not have corals as of yet, look at the surface from the bottom up and make sure there are no stagnant areas (oily looking film). BTW, avoid using powerheads that rotate as they stop moving after algea started to grow on them. I had two that last couple months only. DP

Thanks Dr, Now that i have my rocks setup I've been playing with there location.

Back
Top Bottom