How do I raise the calcium correctly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

InfernoST

Aquarium Advice Addict
I need to raise the Calcium level in my tank, currently Calcium 340-360 with the DKH at 11 and PH=8.3. I want bring the calcium up to 450 without the use of a reactor and without my alkalinity dropping thru floor and with little or no effect on my PH. How can I accomplish this?

Bumping up the Calcium the amount you're talking about shouldn't drop the calcium "through the floor". It'll probably be lower, but I bet once you get it where you want it your alkalinity will still be OK since you're sitting at 11 now.

Bumping up the Calcium the amount you're talking about shouldn't drop the calcium "through the floor". It'll probably be lower, but I bet once you get it where you want it your alkalinity will still be OK since you're sitting at 11 now.
I just started making the transition to reef crystals from IO. I did start dosing calcium and the alk dropped to 8 in three days so i picked up a B-ionic 2 part and that brought both up nicely without affecting the PH, which brought the calc up to 400 and the alk up to 10. I stopped the two part because I did a 30% pwc with 50% RC and 50% IO, now the calc is 440 and the alk 11 with ph at 8.3.

What was the Ca and Alk of the RC salt mix out of the box?

Alk of 8 is no big deal. I run around 420/8 and everything seems happy.
I'm still learning about saltwater and it's important for me to fully understand cause & effect, how to identify and rectify problems when it comes to the systems chemistry (this part of it makes me a little nervous).

Out of the box the reef crystals tested 480 cal and 11 alk.

You might double check that Calcium level with another test kit if you're shooting for an exact number. Seems a bit high, depending on the salinity you mixed it up to. Reef Crystals has just recently changed their formulation, upping the calcium and alkalinity levels - but not 480. I *think* my latest "new" bucket of RC tested in around 420 calcium and 12 alk after 24 hours of mixing (mixed to 1.025).

You might double check that Calcium level with another test kit if you're shooting for an exact number. Seems a bit high, depending on the salinity you mixed it up to. Reef Crystals has just recently changed their formulation, upping the calcium and alkalinity levels - but not 480. I *think* my latest "new" bucket of RC tested in around 420 calcium and 12 alk after 24 hours of mixing (mixed to 1.025).
I got the box version which shouldn't make a difference and it was mixed to 1.026. What i did prior was dump the bag into a 5 gallon bucket and mixed the crap out of it. I did this based on some test results I've read that some of the components of the salt mix settle in the bottom of the bag. I have two separate API calcium test kits and two different manufacturers for the ALK (API and Tetra). I'll whip up a gallon, re-test and get back to you.

Kurt
It's almost 24hrs later and my 1 gallon test results are as follows for salinity 1.026 @ 80 degrees F. I used two different calcium test kits both from API and 2 test kits for ALK 1 from API and the other from Tetra.
Calcium = 460
Alk = 12

Hmm. OK... as long as you double checked, that's cool. All test kits have a margin for error, but as long as you use the same one all the time, then you're consistent at least.

Back
Top Bottom