How do I remove ammonia from RO/DI water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbeatts

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just purchased an Aquatic Life Twist-In 100 GPD 4-Stage RO/DI System for my 20-gallon tank. I didn't use the RO/DI water in the tank because it has ammonia in it. Instead, I used spring water from the store, but I was told that it won't sustain a reef tank for more than a few years. I want to use the RO/DI water from the system that I bought, but how do I get rid of the ammonia in it? Do I add some type of extra filter stage to my system?

There shouldn't be ANYTHING in ro/di water. It removes everything and should have a TDS (total dissolved solids) reading of 0.00 after going through the system.

I agree with Sniper but an RO system will have a bit of TDS. Mine has about 10 ppm.

Did you throw out the first 5 to ten gallons of the RO/DI unit. They say that part is bad. Spring water is not always perfect. It looks clear but some times has contaminants. I used distilled water in my reef for the first years before my RO/DI unit.

Did you throw out the first 5 to ten gallons of the RO/DI unit. They say that part is bad. Spring water is not always perfect. It looks clear but some times has contaminants. I used distilled water in my reef for the first years before my RO/DI unit.
I followed the instructions and it said not use the first few gallons so I didn't. Should I just use distilled water?

There shouldn't be ANYTHING in ro/di water. It removes everything and should have a TDS (total dissolved solids) reading of 0.00 after going through the system.
If there shouldn't be anything why do I have ammonia reading?

Well, 1. what test kits are you using? 2. is there a reason you are testing for ammonia specifically? 3. get yourself a TDS reader for your ro/di water. 4. do you know the psi that the water is going through the system? It should be around 90 to work 'appropriately'.

Until you get it straight use distilled. Using a RO/DI should get rid of the ammonia. Is this a four stage. Never mind I see it is.

Back
Top Bottom