How do I remove solid fish waste.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bray

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have ammonialeves that are rising weekly due to the solid waste build up, not from over feeding. I have a siphon vac. but it does not work because my sand is so fine. When I try to vac. It pulls out 80% water 19% sand and 1% fish waste due to the fact it is larger and heavier then the sand. What is the solution?

try some power heads that worked for me place them so there is no dead spots then it will break down faster so your filter will take over

I have 2 1300's in a 55 gallon tank, and a protein skimmer as well as a fluval 70 gallon filter, there is plenty of flow, just waste is all over the place and like I said my ph levels increases at. .25 per week

Is the tank cycled? Because if a tank is properly cycled, the BB should be able to handle the bioload as long as a bunch of fish weren't added all at once. How long has the tank been up? What ammonia source did you use to cycle the tank? A conch will eat the poo left on the bottom- love mine, but like I said, if its cycled, there shouldn't be an ammonia spike.

id play around with the powerheads until theres no dead spots on the bottom. its a pain and takes awhile but itll work.

Yeah I'd have to agree sounds like the power heads aren't set up right

Back
Top Bottom