how do i set up this skimmer?!?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crage34

Aquarium Advice Freak
i just received my cpr bak pak2 with a maxi jet 1200 and this is the first time i have ever set up a skimmer...can u guys tell me how high to set up the collection cup (nothing is going in the cup) also can u tell me the proper adjustment of the bubble valve...and should i or should i not remove my bio media...i have it in the tank running but i know i dont have it tuned right at all...also getting alot of noise right now...maybe just need to break in

The air injector should come with a control knob on a hose attached to the pump. Open up the control knob so it's almost loose in the threads. It works much better with higher air flow. Once the chamber starts to bubble, set the O-ring on the cup so the first ¼-½" of the cup bottom is below the level of the foam. It will either work right away or may need a few days to "season". Once set just leave it a few days either way unless you start getting excess water and no junk. Then ease back on the air a bit.

As far as the bale, I leave mine in but be sure you don't pack it down too much. It will create larger bubbles and could be noisey. Once some of the fauna migrate into the skimmer they will help keep the bale clean from detritus. If the air intake itself becomes overly loud, replace the first section with a much longer piece of regular air tubing. The extra length muffles the noise.

Cheers
Steve

so the actual collection cup ;not the opening of the cone shaped part on the bottom of the collection cup, but the actual should be below the surface correct?

and how quiet should this skimmer be? cause my maxi jet or something seems to be very loud on my skimmer...does it have to break in before i quiets down? and should i ever clean my bale? will it create a nitrate problem?

thank u very very much steve..btw im gettin foam now

crage34 said:
so the actual collection cup ;not the opening of the cone shaped part on the bottom of the collection cup, but the actual should be below the surface correct?
No not the base of the cup part, sorry for not being clearer. The base of the cup where the opening starts. The opening should be ¼-½" below the surface.

and how quiet should this skimmer be? cause my maxi jet or something seems to be very loud on my skimmer...does it have to break in before i quiets down? and should i ever clean my bale? will it create a nitrate problem?
Not sure on the Maxi Jet. I use the RIO 600 RVT which is very quiet. Just be sure there is a gap between the pump and glass wall of the tank. Any touching will create vibration. The bale could be an issue if you overfeed. It shouldn't cause you a problem but if you do feel the need to clean it, do so with SW and simpley swish it around in a pail loosely. Personally I don't clean mine just the cup and occasionally the pump.

thank u very very much steve..btw im gettin foam now
Good stuff!!

Cheers
Steve

in about 8 hours i have only gotten like a half inch on gunk in the cup and im starting a bad cyano bloom on my sand and rocks...it doesnt seem like the foam is going to the top of the cup well at all

I will take a pic a little later tonight of how the cup is positioned on my skimmer and post it for you. The camera is "out" at the moment.

As far as the amount of skimmate, it could simpley be there's nothing there to collect. Is it dark and icky or like a week tea? The main cause of cyano is PO4. The DOC in the water will simpley allow it to spread faster. Personally I think the Maji Jet 1200 is a bit too much for this skimmer to perform well. More flow does not necessarily mean better efficiencey. Once I post the pic you can see wether is the cup positioning or not.

Cheers
Steve

well the only way i can even get the foam half way close to making it to the top of the cup is to move the cup all the way down almost....and i also have to close the air valve quite a bit( to where bubbles reach the bottom of the chamber) increasing the water flow...i dont have much of a load on the tank at all cause all i have is a cleaner shrimp and a small cleaning crew so i dont feed much (my clown died and my parameters are perfect...all 0's and my nitrates are below 10)

thank u so much for the help steve...the pic might help me out alot...do u think i should put one of my maxijet 600's on the skimmer and see how that works?

crage34 said:
it could simpley be there's nothing there to collect. Is it dark and icky or like a week tea?

it is like a weak tea color...pretty light in color
crage34 said:
i dont have much of a load on the tank at all cause all i have is a cleaner shrimp and a small cleaning crew so i dont feed much (my clown died and my parameters are perfect...all 0's and my nitrates are below 10)
Could easily be that there really isn't anything to collect. I would set it to where we had discussed earlier and leave it a few days. If you keep readjusting the settings while there isn't anything to collect, you'll just drive yourself nuts. I've attached a pic so you can get a better idea on the cup level.

do u think i should put one of my maxijet 600's on the skimmer and see how that works?
The skimmer was designed with the RIO RVT as the prefered pump. It unlike the MJ has a redundant air injector to increase the amount of fine foam for better fractioning. At this point though I would not suggest getting a new pump until your quite sure that is the problem if there even is a problem. I'd be patient a bit longer.

Cheers
Steve

thank u very much steve...i will just let it run for a few days and we will see

Back
Top Bottom