Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-24-2010, 08:30 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
cmor, you forgot "beware the LFS's advice...more times than not it's a sales pitch!"

Old 11-25-2010, 12:54 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

thanks you guys, i REALLY appreciate your help on this, you have no idea.

so i have the tank set up and it does not have just damsels like i thought.

there are 5 fish in there, one is a yellowtail damsel, the others i am working on ID's (sorry, no camera as yet). black with dorsal spots, black and white stripes, blue on electric blue, and a little black apisto looking thing. also a few little hermit crabs, a starfish and a little wavy looking thing that she said a peppermint shrimp will eat (not geting one, but good to know)

there are mushrooms, and a little coral thingy and the live rock is kinda awesome. The lady made me take home all of the water cos no one is open at night for salt water (thank you!!) and now the fish are swimming around happily. well they are staking out little territories.

There was only one powerhead, so i have added another one to avoid dead spots, and the HOB filter will be replaced as soon as i have a few bucks to spare (next thursday... this is going to be worse than the cichlids, i can tell already lol)i was thinking a sump/ refugium (sp?)

SO for now, they will sit as is for the next few months so that they can settle and i can learn and then we will see where to from there... pics to follow

Old 11-25-2010, 01:05 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

ha! thank you liveaquaria blue damsel, three spot domino, fourstripe damsel and still looking for the little black one
Old 11-25-2010, 01:11 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

maybe a lyretail blenny? photos tomorrow
Old 11-25-2010, 01:15 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Looking forward to seeing the pics!
Old 11-25-2010, 01:57 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

nice deal sarah..but maybe u need to test the water....
Old 11-25-2010, 08:55 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

the wavy looking thing is a pest anemone more commonly known as "aptasia". left unchecked, it will turn into 100.
Old 11-25-2010, 04:29 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Use some lemon juice in an ear syringe to get rid of the aiptasis. There are also commercial preparations like Joe's Juice to do the same.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:40 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

test results

so i di my readings on the API Master Reef Kit, and here are the results
they aren't great

calcium 420-440 (untrained eye)
KH 89.5
Phosphate 0.25
Nitrate 80

salinity is 1.024

ph is about 8.0

now if this were an established tank i would go ahead and do a 30% PWC, and i kinda want to, but the fish have only just got here, i have no water on hand ( i can make some-24hrs- or go buy some tomorrow cos i have no store nearby that will stay open until i get there)

is it ok to leave it overnight and do the PWC tomorrow? and should i add calcium when i do the PWC? or should i just mix a new batch of water and chuck it in and hope for the best?

sorry, complete rookie questions, but i don't want to upset the fish any more than they are. and something tells me the tank has been building the nitrates for a while... Ooh, is it ok to vaccuum the sand?
Old 11-26-2010, 07:07 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

the important tests you should be focusing on right now are ammonia and nitrite. calcium doesn't effect fish. the nitrates are up because you transported the tank. i would mix up a water change and do one tomorrow. after a tank has been cycled, there is never a bad time for a water change.

how long has this tank been up before you got it? what does the substrate look like? does it appear clean? small granules? how did you transport it?

Tags
salt, salt water, salt water tank, start, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com