Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-24-2012, 01:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

How do peppermint shrimp reproduce?

Kinda silly question, but how do these shrimp procreate? I was witness to some funny business between them and was just wondering. I have 2 females and one male in my cube and the females are ALWAYS holding. lol Even seen her release one time and it was fascinating!

Also, anyone know how long it takes for gestation with these guys?

Thanks for any help, just one of those things that I'm curious about. LOL

Old 01-24-2012, 06:39 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

How to raise and train your peppermint shrimp (By April Kirkendoll): "Update for second edition: researchers have pretty much established that all of the shrimp in the genus Lysmata are hermaphrodites.
So anyways, peppermint shrimp mate soon after the "female" molts. While she is still soft and too weak to get away, the shrimp that's acting as the male (often "he" is carrying eggs) grabs her and swings underneath her crossways. The act of mating takes only a few seconds and is easy to mis if you're not paying close attention." That should answer your question.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Thanks for the response. i think what i saw was them mating. Kinda weird but good to know. I assumed 2 are female since they are the only ones who ever have eggs. The other is a smaller skrimp and much more red than the other two as well.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Well, see.. it all starts when a boy peppermint shrimp meets a girl peppermint shrimp...

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pepper, peppermint, peppermint shrimp, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com