How do peppermint shrimp reproduce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
Kinda silly question, but how do these shrimp procreate? I was witness to some funny business between them and was just wondering. I have 2 females and one male in my cube and the females are ALWAYS holding. lol Even seen her release one time and it was fascinating!

Also, anyone know how long it takes for gestation with these guys?

Thanks for any help, just one of those things that I'm curious about. LOL

How to raise and train your peppermint shrimp (By April Kirkendoll): "Update for second edition: researchers have pretty much established that all of the shrimp in the genus Lysmata are hermaphrodites.
So anyways, peppermint shrimp mate soon after the "female" molts. While she is still soft and too weak to get away, the shrimp that's acting as the male (often "he" is carrying eggs) grabs her and swings underneath her crossways. The act of mating takes only a few seconds and is easy to mis if you're not paying close attention." That should answer your question.

Thanks for the response. i think what i saw was them mating. Kinda weird but good to know. I assumed 2 are female since they are the only ones who ever have eggs. The other is a smaller skrimp and much more red than the other two as well. :)

Back
Top Bottom