Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-02-2011, 12:47 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

It still takes a while to seed the tank with pods and get them to reproduce at a rate in which the mandarin doesn't eat them all. Think it's a 25g nano, even with the fuge it will be difficult

Old 12-02-2011, 01:04 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

well we will see how it plays out, I know that my LFS has some large 3-4" blue mandarins that eat prep foods and have for some time. I may grab one of them if they still have them when Im ready and after I see them eat prep foods a few times. I was talking to him today and he said I could come in every day for feeding for him to show me the fish eating. they are in tanks with hardly any live rock and are healthy and large so they must be eating prep foods. They are from another person who turned his reef into a fowlr to keep triggers and what not so he got rid of them.

CleverBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:30 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxStLxx
It still takes a while to seed the tank with pods and get them to reproduce at a rate in which the mandarin doesn't eat them all. Think it's a 25g nano, even with the fuge it will be difficult
Exactly right +1,000,000
Old 12-02-2011, 07:15 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

thats why i said with a large enough tank :P a 25g isn't big enough
Old 12-02-2011, 07:15 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The ones that eat prepared foods have been known to just stop out of the blue and only eat pods. A 25 will be extremely difficult to sustain their needs. With very low success rates, mandarins are a fish best left in the ocean IMO.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:58 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

+99999999999. A small nano isn't suited for a mandarin, unless you have a 70gal refugium filled with rocks and cheato hooked up to it. Even if it eats prepared food, it can stop eating it out of nowhere. I've seen people who owned mandrains died of starvation because they prefered the taste of pods instead of pellets or frozen fish food.

Even if the tank is a year old, a mandarian would wipe out the pod population in days for a nano tank. Unless you are into pod breeding or willing to buy live pods every 5 days for as long you have it, I'd say save your money and pass on it.

Tags
refugium, refugiums

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com