Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-23-2005, 01:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
How do start a reef tank?

I have a FOWLR tank right now and would like to do reef/coral tank. Is there a difference between reef or coral tank? I'm looking for a link to read up on starting a reef/ coral tank. I'm not sure of the size but I do want to do an over flow system. So I guess the smallest tank is a 72gal, from what I've seen. Well, any info on getting started will be great.

rdefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 01:34 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
Sure, there are some good articles on this site. I also recommend the book Aquariam Corals (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/189...882330-5511031)

You need to keep stable water parameters (temp ~81, SG 1.026, Nitrate < 10) , keep up with Ca and Alk levels, and provide lots of light.

Metal Halide is really the way to go in order to keep everything. Its not cheap though.

55g reef, 2x250W 10k MH + 2x96W PC actninc, 10g sump, AquaC Urchin skimmer, 65lbs LR

xenia, mushrooms, wels. open brain, fungia radiata (orange), green eyed zoos

flame angel, mated pair of false perc, 6-line, firefish

20gH electric yellow cichlid
theatrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 08:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just started changing over from FOWLR to reef. I got the MH lghts and a few zoanthid polyps. I like it way better than just fish. Keep in mind that any fish you may have now, could possibly be a threat to corals. I am still trying to catch a damsel that likes to nip at the polyps.
AndyH5512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 10:08 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Water quality and light are the two biggest changes. As theatrus said you also need to monitor Ca and Alk and a few other minor things.
*The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist.
*If guns kill people...Spoons make Michael Moore fat.
Brenden is offline   Reply With Quote

reef, reef tank, start, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com