Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-30-2011, 12:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

How do you acclimate a coral?

Can someone explain a few things when it comes to acclimating corals for me

I can do the drip method but how do you not expose the coral to the air, should I just drip method into the bag it came in?

Also when transferring the coral into the tank how do I do this again without exposing it to air or getting the bag water into the tank?

Thanks no corals yet but I wanna be prepared

Old 07-30-2011, 12:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

This site will help you can expose corals to air for a short period of time it's sponges that must remain under water
Acclimating Corals - Aquarium Reference

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

thanks I will definitely read it
Old 07-30-2011, 01:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

So can you just confirm something for me really quick, it's saying its okay to have it exposed to air for a few seconds okay I got that part. Other than that though, I do not need to acclimate the coral or anything? just dip him in a solution, rinse, and place him in the tank? is this correct?
Old 07-30-2011, 02:00 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

You can expose corals to air for short periods of time, even a few minutes Is fine for most. Sponges are the ones that can't be exposed. I've never dipped my corals and I've never had a problem, prolly wouldn't hurt though. And yes you have to acclimate them like inverts. I like the drip method
Old 07-30-2011, 02:04 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Yep, I drip acclimate, pick em up, and put them in. If you have some coral that doesn't do well in air, you can scoop it back into the bag after drip. Lower the whole bag underwater, take the coral out, and take the bag out again. Most of the bag water will stay in.

--Adeeb
adeebm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:04 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use some of the tank water for my dip what i do is float the bag for 30 min to get it to the tank temp then i dip them. then into a rinse of the same temp use the water from a PWC
I also QT my coral just to be sure that i dont have any HH's had some little white snails eat a coral once.that was enough for me broke down the whole tank and started over never again

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:38 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
dipping them on a solution to kill hitch hikers is a good idea, but as far as acclimating, i just float them for a few minutes and toss them in.
corals can be exposed to air. some are exposed for long periods of time, in the wild...like when the tide goes out.
check out this video-
‪Corals at low tide Fiji‬‏ - YouTube

zoanthids have been shipped to be almost completely dry. wrapped in damp newspaper and in a bag with no visible water in it. in a couple days, they are open and as happy as ever.

Tags
acclimate, coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com