how do you drop acclimate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kwandrsn

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok I know saltwater fish need to be acclimated different than fresh water. I have a suction cup for airline. I have air line and a small gang valve. How do you drop acclimate . I get you put the fish and water in a container and set the water dripping into the container from the tank. How long? And then my tank will be low on water do I put bucket water in my tank to fill it up or just run it low until water change time

Its drip acclimate* and you need water dripping from the tank to the new fish's bag at about 1 drop per second. I wouldnt reuse the water because it is mixed with the water that the fish store used so i just throw it out. I usually acclimate for an hour or an hour and a half

I do a drip about a hour hour and a half tops
I also use a 1 gal pail put the bag in pail so when it overflows it goes in pail not on floor
than I dump the bag into pail so I can scoop up the fish and add to my tank in a net
dump pail out in sink than add plain RO water to tank to replace water I drained to acclimate

I just put the bag in the water to match the temp. Turn the lights on low. Catch a fish in a bet and drop in. My parameters are good. Fish is healthy and why stress out even more. Just drop and put a little prime In the sump. A lot of people do all this work and I think it stresses the fish out more. I just don't add water from other sources, just in case.

I just put the bag in the water to match the temp. Turn the lights on low. Catch a fish in a bet and drop in. My parameters are good. Fish is healthy and why stress out even more. Just drop and put a little prime In the sump. A lot of people do all this work and I think it stresses the fish out more. I just don't add water from other sources, just in case.

What if the bag water has different parameters than your tank water won't that kill the fish?

very seldom will the water from the bag match yours
that is why you drip acclimate
ph difference
salinity
alkalinity
temp
ect
just soaking the bag and plopping a fish in can add more stress than a drip
the drip gives the fish time to get used to the new water
you will find your fish to be healthier and less likely to encounter ick with this method

Yea, because fish enjoy living in bags for time and they do it in the wild. I'm sure u know what stress an animal that swims 24/7.

Back
Top Bottom