How do you fill a 150 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefmaster

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all, im getting a 150 gallon reef tank from another person for 600 dollars (thats a great deal) Its already established and comes with a snowflake eel, 2 starfish, and some damsles. But anyways, how do i transport all that water? i would need 30, 5 gallon jugs that i use for my 30 gallon.

That is a great deal. I would recommend doing a PWC at setup. That way, you dont have to transport all the water. Plus, during transport, there will be some die-off. The PWC will help counteract the die-off. Get some rubbermaid tubs (new, unused). Some for the transport, some for mixing the new water. Mix your PWC water at least a day in advance to be prepared. Use the other tubs for transport. Try to get an airstone or something to keep the transported water/livestock aerated. You can also keep the livestock you are transporting in there. Keep them separate from any rock, etc, so they dont get banged up while in transit. Try to make the trip as short as possible, and also when it's cooler.

On a side note, most people have a general dislike for damsels, as they are aggressive most of the time. Now can be your time to find a new home for them. Once you set up the tank, they are almost impossible to catch. Just a thought. Good luck with the move.

When I always needed a bunch of buckets for a move I always went to the LFS and he would have several to borrow. But I do agree that you wont need all of it as you will need to add some fresh for a PWC

Sounds like a job for the “Pickup Truck Tank" :lol:

Seriously, just move as much as you can and have 30+% fresh SW ready at the new site for a pwc.

Only meant as a joke ;) Those truck tanks run $200+ anyways and would be fairly useless once done. It’s only 150 gal so mixing it up at the site with a couple of large trashcans is pretty doable.

Of course you would need a semi truck to move your water :p

truck2hz.jpg

thanks

thanks guys, but where can i buy these rubbermaid tubs? Home depot? I cant find any on thier website, and i dont want to order online.

I guess ill have to start mixing my own saltwater now and probably buy a ro/di filter. I usually just buy pre-mixed water at the LFS. Any tips on the process?

You can get rubbermaid 35 gal trashcans for less than $20. The tote are available at HD, lowes, walmart, etc. I like the poly tanks like tec posted above on the truck (only smaller) but they are not cheap. Just make sure you mix the SW for at least 24 hours and make sure salinity etc is correct.

Ideally, using RO/DI water to start is the way to go. However, it is not always practical to do so, particulary with larger systems. You may want to consider a mix of RO and tap for the initial fill just to make things easier. Thereafter, use RO/DI for top-offs and PWC.

You mean mix tap water with the clean salt water i have now? Wouldnt that contaminate the water?

Like I said, using all Ro/DI water is ideal. However, using a mixture of SW made from both tap and RO/DI water will work for the initial fill. Tap water can and does introduce heavey metals, PO4, TDS and the like into the water. Using a good water conditioner will help with this but not eliminate it. Sometimes you just need to think in terms of "practicallity". Again, when it comes to top-off and PWC its RO/DI all the way.

I filled my tank with RO/DI initially. Only took 2 weeks. :D I think that is what lando is referring to. How long do you have and also if you are buying water it could get expensive for water you are utimately going to ruin with a cycle.

I filled three 30 gallon trash cans from wally mart in two days.. mixed salt and got tank up in three days.

I just put the line in an empty 30 gallon tank before bed... and woke up 8 hrs later to see it 3/4 full. It works.. just dont forget about the rodi unit. I've forgotten about mine twice... had a floor full of water to show for it.

Back
Top Bottom