Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-08-2006, 11:36 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to reefmaster
How do you fill a 150 gallon?

Hey all, im getting a 150 gallon reef tank from another person for 600 dollars (thats a great deal) Its already established and comes with a snowflake eel, 2 starfish, and some damsles. But anyways, how do i transport all that water? i would need 30, 5 gallon jugs that i use for my 30 gallon.

Old 05-08-2006, 12:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That is a great deal. I would recommend doing a PWC at setup. That way, you dont have to transport all the water. Plus, during transport, there will be some die-off. The PWC will help counteract the die-off. Get some rubbermaid tubs (new, unused). Some for the transport, some for mixing the new water. Mix your PWC water at least a day in advance to be prepared. Use the other tubs for transport. Try to get an airstone or something to keep the transported water/livestock aerated. You can also keep the livestock you are transporting in there. Keep them separate from any rock, etc, so they dont get banged up while in transit. Try to make the trip as short as possible, and also when it's cooler.

On a side note, most people have a general dislike for damsels, as they are aggressive most of the time. Now can be your time to find a new home for them. Once you set up the tank, they are almost impossible to catch. Just a thought. Good luck with the move.

Old 05-08-2006, 12:57 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

When I always needed a bunch of buckets for a move I always went to the LFS and he would have several to borrow. But I do agree that you wont need all of it as you will need to add some fresh for a PWC

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 03:29 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Sounds like a job for the “Pickup Truck Tank"

Seriously, just move as much as you can and have 30+% fresh SW ready at the new site for a pwc.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 05:42 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tec is that your WC setup?
Old 05-08-2006, 05:56 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Only meant as a joke Those truck tanks run $200+ anyways and would be fairly useless once done. It’s only 150 gal so mixing it up at the site with a couple of large trashcans is pretty doable.

Of course you would need a semi truck to move your water :P

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 07:02 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

thanks

thanks guys, but where can i buy these rubbermaid tubs? Home depot? I cant find any on thier website, and i dont want to order online.

I guess ill have to start mixing my own saltwater now and probably buy a ro/di filter. I usually just buy pre-mixed water at the LFS. Any tips on the process?
Old 05-08-2006, 07:12 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can get rubbermaid 35 gal trashcans for less than $20. The tote are available at HD, lowes, walmart, etc. I like the poly tanks like tec posted above on the truck (only smaller) but they are not cheap. Just make sure you mix the SW for at least 24 hours and make sure salinity etc is correct.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:13 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ideally, using RO/DI water to start is the way to go. However, it is not always practical to do so, particulary with larger systems. You may want to consider a mix of RO and tap for the initial fill just to make things easier. Thereafter, use RO/DI for top-offs and PWC.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:30 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

You mean mix tap water with the clean salt water i have now? Wouldnt that contaminate the water?

Tags
150 gallon, 50 gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com