Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-22-2012, 02:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

How do you get water?

This might be a silly question but I've been thinking about it for a few days. How do you get so much salt water from the fish store to your house?... I only have to get about 70 gallons but that's still 14 buckets. My question is, is there some type of service that brings water to your house in a big tanker truck or something? I can't imagine the people that have huge 500 gallon systems filling them up with little 5 gallon buckets

Old 11-22-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Not sure where in the world you are but I'm in the UK and anyone i know with saltwater tank just buys aquarium salt and adds it in

Old 11-22-2012, 02:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Usually with tanks that big they have overflows with canister filters set up to drain and refill from an r/o or ionizer... It gets incredibly expensive at the start up of these tanks, and maintenance can get confusing if ur not familiar with the format. If you're talking buckets, please for your own sanity and health of the fish sick with a 50g or less... Saltwater can very easily be mixed and aged in oxygenated bottles for refills and use conditioned distilled water to 'top off' tank and prevent salt creep.
ktomminello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm in Miami and they sell actual ocean water but even if I were to mix reef salt doesn't it have to be with rodi water anyway?
Old 11-22-2012, 02:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

You SHOULD use ro/di water, or distilled, but, like I said, if you premix the water, oxygenate and age the water you can use tap, as long as it's stable and balanced in spec. Make sure you check once oxygenated and test once again before adding the water, you can keep a smaller tank in check. I have a puffer FOWLR and am starting a nano reef... It's a ton of work, because, yes, I use 5g buckets, lol. I don't have any tanks above 40g.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:13 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

That's part of why my sw is only 38 gallons, I can barely stand doing fw buckets for my 55
Old 11-22-2012, 03:22 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I cheat on my fw community, I sump and run a hose to my ebb and grow 50g hydro bucket. Sumps are kind of a necessary evil when dealing with larger tanks.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:09 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Wow that's gonna be a huge pain. I'm gonna have to do maybe two 7 bucket trips if I don't find a company that'll come pump it full of saltwater
Old 11-23-2012, 08:47 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktomminello View Post
You SHOULD use ro/di water, or distilled, but, like I said, if you premix the water, oxygenate and age the water you can use tap, as long as it's stable and balanced in spec. Make sure you check once oxygenated and test once again before adding the water, you can keep a smaller tank in check. I have a puffer FOWLR and am starting a nano reef... It's a ton of work, because, yes, I use 5g buckets, lol. I don't have any tanks above 40g.
I have a new 40G breeder and let me tell you lugging 8 culligan bottles up three flights of stairs has me looking at an RO system for the third floor.... only nice thing is I can refill them at 39 cents a gallon....
Old 11-24-2012, 01:20 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't have an RO syStem yet, so when I filled my 55, I had to make a couple of trips to the LFS with my 5g buckets. :/ It was a pain, but it was only for the initial fill. Now I only have to make 1 trip per week for water for PWCs.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com