how do you know when....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hara

Aquarium Advice Addict
How do you know when dead rock has become live rock...

(stupid question of the year award is heading my way for this one)

My guess would be that if you had that as the only filter and an amonia source. then when readings stabelize then maybe it would be live.

well, it isn't the only filter, I had about 60 lbs of hirock base rock in there. The main filtration is a milennium 3000 until the rock turns live. That is why I was asking...I would really like to take the external filter off.

What kind of bio-media are you using in the milennium? If is some loose media, remove a little at a time. If it is a sponge, cut it and remove some. This will break in the tank while ensuring you don't have a sudden cutoff.

I would say by this time, Hara, your rock is live. It's been months hasn't it? I agree with hoops tho, remove your biomedia a portion at a time. Maybe 25% at a time would be good.

I would think coraline growth on the rock would be a good sign that it is live. This has no scientific basis, it's just my best guess. I have used a lot of dry base rock in my tanks and the coraline growth usually coincides with the growth of lots of other critters on the rock.

Back
Top Bottom