How do you quarantine new fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kwan

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have heard so many different approaches to QT new fish that I am now confused. Some people will just put the new fish in QT and let it sit for a couple of weeks and observe. Then some might begin preventive measures by introducing copper or hyposalinity. And of course the duration may vary from 2 to 4 weeks.

I am interested in what you do and what is recommended as I will be QT all my new fish from now on having learned the hard way.

I have been lucky so far, knock wood. so I just add fish to qt and watch for 4 weeks. I think if the fish is questionable then I would do a hyposalinity dip for 1 to 2 min first, then add to qt. I only do a dip if something else in lfs has some sort of disease. If the fish i'm looking at has something, i'll wait till something else comes along. Copper can be a pain to regulate propper curative levels, and I don't think that 1 dose of copper helps enough to warrant doing it.

Let say you add the fish to QT and watch for 4 weeks. If nothing happens, then you would put it into the main tank. But it doesn't mean the fish is free from parasites, right? You could still have an outbreak once it is put into the main tank. So would it be advisable to carry out preventive measure to eliminate any parasite by medicating the QT or applying hyposalinity?

The idea is that any parasite would have completed its life cycle in those 4 weeks and died off. I'm not a supporter of pre-emptive strikes :lol:

It would be true for any parasite to complete its life cycle in 4 weeks and die off if the QT has been medicated or hypo is used. Otherwise, with normal salinity, wouldn't the life cycle just continue again?

If something is present then you would see symptoms and treat accordingly. If there's no symptoms of anything in 4 weeks then I wouldn't be too worried.

Back
Top Bottom