How does all this sound(new tank setup)........ plus a Q

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jason

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so I am balls to the wall setting up my new 72 gallon tank. I've got 4 tanks in the amin living area of my house and my wife is about ready to kill me.... My solution, 1 bigger tank that is going to be a huge progect as it is...... So how does this sound???

The tank is a 72 gallon bowfront AGA, It is reef ready.
For the sump I will be using a 20H AGA aquarium.
the light for the tank is a Coralife MH/PC (6.83wpg total... 300 mh 192 PC)
the skimmer will be a ASM G3
as far as a return pump goes, I'll cross that bridge when I get there.
I'll have power heads, heaters and whatever else I need as well.

I am currently in the process of collecting all of my live rock. The reason I am collecting it and not just buying it is I want all the rocks to look a certain way.... I want them ann to be shelves! Basically I want the twoback corners to be big brick walls of liverock and have long shelves sticking out of them, with a sand area in the middle. needless to say it is taking a while to find the rock i need.

After I get the live rock in and the tank cycled I plan on getting a few bottles of pods and seeding the tank with them, as well as worms, mysis shrimp, bristol worms, mini stars, and any other sand sifter I can get. I am really going for crazy biodiversity with this tank. After that, I plan on letting the tank sit for a month or two and then combine all my tanks into 1.

I am going to keep SPS, LPS, and Softies.

The fish I currently want are:
a flame hawk
a mandarin
a 6 line wrass
and a couple jawfish
that will probably be it unless I really see something elese I like.
Any other suggestions for fish?
I don't want any clowns because I don't want to keep any anemones, and all the clowns I have now host in LPS and keep them closed all the time.

Besides that, am I missing anything?

Marine depot has the Red Sea Wavemaster Pro on sale for $90 some dollars.

If using 3 PHs, this device would be perfect for your reef. Intermittent PH on and off, nite time mode for 8hrs, and 10 minute feeding - all PHs off.

I presume you'll also transport a healthy population of pods to the new tank also to keep the mandarin alive?

No tang? Check out farm raised clowns. My two are just fine without an anenome.

I went back and fixed the thing about here the pods are comming from, yeah I am buying a TON of them. I wont add that mandarin for a while, it's just on my fish wish list.

thanks for the info on the wave master

the light for the tank is a Coralife MH/PC
How do you plan to mount the light fixture on the tank. I really want this hood but with my 72gal BF it is too wide. I believe the width of the fixture is 15 inches and the withd of the tank at the ends is 13 inches. The mounting legs that come with the unitl will not work as designed. Coralife does make a suspension device to hand the fixture above the tank. Just curious what your plans were. Let me know what works.

Back
Top Bottom