How does everyone cycle??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ORayRay

Aquarium Advice Regular
I went to the LFS to test some water, i'm in the middle of my cycle, I used a raw shrimp to help cycle and he said he has never heard of that. So I'm wondering how everyone else has cycles their tank?

I purchased a Huma Huma trigger for $15 dollars to cycle my tank, along with 120lbs of live rock, what size tank do you have? 3 months down the road hes still doing fine along with my other fish. even if you don't want to keep him just cycle your tank with him and then trade him in for some store credit and get the fish you want.

Most here use dead shrimp or bottled ammonia.
Just make sure the ammonia is free of surfactants.

I think the dead shrimp takes longer.. but just my opinion...

I did the fishless cycle like you are doing. It`s more humane and doesnt put needless stress on fish during the cycle.

Yea id rather not put a fish in danger, i just find it a little odd that this LFS that has been in business 20+ years had no clue what I was talking about or they just acted like they didn't know
My ammonia levels have dropped to 0 but I'm still waiting for everything else to drop significantly, do you think I'm getting close?

It sure sounds like it from what you are talking about. Kudo`s for going fishless.

I use the 1 unseasoned, raw jumbo shrimp per 30 gallon fishless cycle....51 cents is a lot cheaper than stuff in a bottle or risking the life of a poor fish. You could also use fish food or as stated pure ammonia.....
Unless you are a LFS and want a double sale, for the cash, they generallt tell you to use fish....drop the fish in, maybe it dies, you have to by another fish and they make money...or better yet, they tell you use damsels, they make it through the cycle and you add more fish to find out the damsels are terrorizing/killing/stressing the new fish and then you spend a half a day trying to get the damsels out of the tank....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom