How does everyone siphon water out of their tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattdean

Aquarium Advice Regular
How do you siphon water from the sump without some type of mechanical aid? I have heard many say they do water changes out and into their sump. Getting the water in is easy, just not sure how do get it out :ponder2:

I actually just started doing water changes from my sump myself, it is much easier than doing it from the main tank. I do it the same way, I just have a bucket and some hosing, I put the one end in the sump and take the other end and suck on it to get the siphon started, then I quickly place it in the bucket and that's all there is to it! Gravity should take care of everything, although seeing as the sump is low to the ground probably for some people to get a good siphon going for gravity to help since there's no height really.

I dunno it works for me :)

Steve

Hey Steve,

That is my problem. I can't seem to get a good flow going. It starts ok, but as the level gets lower the siphon stops working. That was why I asked.

Cheers

Did you try putting the hose to the very bottom of the sump and putting the other end in the very bottom of the bucket? I find that helps. I do that and I have no trouble siphoning from the sump anymore.

Steve

Yes, I did. I will try again and see if I was just not getting it the first time. Otherwise, I will use a powerhead attached to a hose.

Cheers!

Any reason why you can't siphon from the main instead?. That's usually the chance I have to clean the main and vacuum sand and stuff like that with the PWC.

I can see adding water to the sump being easy, but not for removing water from the system. Maybe you got it half right - what "many say" . :) :)

Last edited:
I siphon mine from the display tank. Much easier plus if there is something I want siphoned out I can.

Yes, I did. I will try again and see if I was just not getting it the first time. Otherwise, I will use a powerhead attached to a hose.

Cheers!

I just use the same pump I use to mix up my freshly made saltwater to pump water out of my sump and into 5-gallon jugs to be dumped. I used to suck the water out of my main tank, however, I find taking it out of the sump and putting it back in the sump way easier and faster. If I see a little cyano then I will take it from the main tank and suck out the cyano, but that is very rare. I think a lot depends on your substrate whether or not you need to be in there constantly cleaning the sandbed during PWC. Thats just me.
Oh and No More Saltwater In My Mouth :rocket:
i just wanted to use that icon

But I LIKE the taste of nutrient rich saltwater!:lol:

My intention is to take the water from the display tank most of the time. I'm just looking for options when I do siphon the sump. I will, however put the new water into the sump. Definitely better for the corals and fish.

I use a cheap maxijet 600 to pump the water out of my sump. It's always in there anyway, so I figured I might as well use it.

Back
Top Bottom