Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-22-2010, 12:53 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

How does everyone siphon water out of their tank?

How do you siphon water from the sump without some type of mechanical aid? I have heard many say they do water changes out and into their sump. Getting the water in is easy, just not sure how do get it out :ponder2:

Old 03-22-2010, 01:51 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I actually just started doing water changes from my sump myself, it is much easier than doing it from the main tank. I do it the same way, I just have a bucket and some hosing, I put the one end in the sump and take the other end and suck on it to get the siphon started, then I quickly place it in the bucket and that's all there is to it! Gravity should take care of everything, although seeing as the sump is low to the ground probably for some people to get a good siphon going for gravity to help since there's no height really.

I dunno it works for me

Steve

Old 03-22-2010, 01:56 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hey Steve,

That is my problem. I can't seem to get a good flow going. It starts ok, but as the level gets lower the siphon stops working. That was why I asked.

Cheers
Old 03-22-2010, 02:06 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Did you try putting the hose to the very bottom of the sump and putting the other end in the very bottom of the bucket? I find that helps. I do that and I have no trouble siphoning from the sump anymore.

Steve
Old 03-22-2010, 08:16 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yes, I did. I will try again and see if I was just not getting it the first time. Otherwise, I will use a powerhead attached to a hose.

Cheers!
Old 03-22-2010, 08:28 AM   #6
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

you can use a powerhead or if you have a python (or off brand system) that would make it alot easier too

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:37 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Any reason why you can't siphon from the main instead?. That's usually the chance I have to clean the main and vacuum sand and stuff like that with the PWC.

I can see adding water to the sump being easy, but not for removing water from the system. Maybe you got it half right - what "many say" .

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:21 AM   #8
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I siphon mine from the display tank. Much easier plus if there is something I want siphoned out I can.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:43 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdean View Post
Yes, I did. I will try again and see if I was just not getting it the first time. Otherwise, I will use a powerhead attached to a hose.

Cheers!
I just use the same pump I use to mix up my freshly made saltwater to pump water out of my sump and into 5-gallon jugs to be dumped. I used to suck the water out of my main tank, however, I find taking it out of the sump and putting it back in the sump way easier and faster. If I see a little cyano then I will take it from the main tank and suck out the cyano, but that is very rare. I think a lot depends on your substrate whether or not you need to be in there constantly cleaning the sandbed during PWC. Thats just me.
Oh and No More Saltwater In My Mouth
i just wanted to use that icon
Old 03-23-2010, 05:20 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just suck and start. Straight into the bucket. Never had SW in get into my mouth.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
siphon, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com