How does this setup look?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rsquared333

Aquarium Advice Freak
Tank: 46 gal bow front

Lighting: Current USA Orbit 36" 2x96 compact strip light w/3 lunar lights

Protien Skimmer: Aqua C Remora Pro w/ mag 3

Heater: 200-300 watt

Filtration: Live rock (70-80 lbs including base rock) and live sand (3"-4")

Sump/Fuge: 20-30 gal
600 gph overflow box
Mag 7 return pump

Powerheads: 2x Maxi-Jet 1200

I have done some research and this is the setup I came up with for a reef tank with a med to high amount of begginer coarals, anemones, and inverts. several small fish will inhabit it a as well. How is This? Any and all comments would be greatly appreciated.

Looks like a great set-up. The only thing I can think of is maybe adding a wave timer for your powerheads. this will help create a more caotic and natural current in the tank. Don't forget the test kits...Lando

Thanks for the suggesions. I already got the testing supplies but the wavemakeer sounds like a good idea. Any other comments or suggestions?

Hey there Rsquared333 - The only thing I would add to your list is 2 heaters in case one sticks. You can go with 2 150w if you want.

Mike

Nice to hear from you again salttanker. that is a good idea, I have never had heater troubles before but it is always better to be safe than sorry.

Take it from me. I had one stick about 6 months ago, and when I got home my tank was 85.7 degrees, which is normally hanging around 79-81. Since then, I am now a believer that heaters do stick. :oops:

Looks like you have a pretty good setup so far. Send some pics when you have it all setup.

Mike

that really sucks, I feel for you. I am planning on getting everything ordered in the next few weeks or so. Any other improvements you can think of?

Yeah one more. Once you get the sump setup, get some bio reef rubble to throw in there to help out with the filtration. Got the idea from my buddy Lando. :wink:
Also, 1 extra pump and heater to create your salt mix for water changes. I forgot about this for so long, that I had to keep borrowing the equipment from the main tank temporarily. You can get a rio 600 and just a 50 water heater to throw in a 5g bucket.
If the live sand gets too expensive, you could just use regular sand, then throw a 20lb live on top. This will be much cheaper. :)

Mike

I forgot to put that down but I had planned on getting some stuff for mixing the water (would a 1 or 2 powerheds work?). The live sand isn't that much of a problem cause I have a friend who will let me have some of his but that is a great idea moneywise.

what would be the regular sand you would use? I use silica sand in freshwater tanks, is there a specific type or brand for saltwater? I've heard of argonite sand (i think that is how you spell it) is that good?

I used the pink Fiji fine grain aragonite sand. I wanted sand small enough so that detrius and waste could not cling to it. I would go with the finest available. Check marinedepot.com..they usually have good prices on sand.
The sump looks like a nice idea. Will you run an inline skimmer to it as well, or HOB?

Mike

Back
Top Bottom