Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-17-2008, 02:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

how does this sound

i have a 45g tank fluval 104/penguin100 filters 45lbs lr 30lbs aragonite reefsand 1140 penguin power head and i will be bying this lite today 36 in nova extream includes 2x39w t5 ho slimpaq 10000daylite 2x39w t5ho slim pack 460nm actinic 3 moon white lunar lites and docing mounts. i would like todo some coral a pair of clowns and a dimond goby. for the rest i am looking for some suggestions. i was sold a damsel before i did enough research so i have a little azure damsel im not sure i want. my tank has been cycling for a week today should i do a water change? i bought some live rock thats purple i heard this is good? but i saw a lil crittler in the rocks the best thing i could comparit to is very tiny underwater centipeed is this bad? i bought the reef master instant ocean test kit is this an ok kit? it only tests for ph nitrAte calcium phosphate and alkalinity is it possible to detect the cycle with kit? or de i need to buy another. money is tight i will hacve spent close to 600 dollas by the end of the week.

thankyou very much your health is much appreciated and has led me to switch lfs. they tried to tell me i didnt need any light upgrade at all for anenomes and i dont need water changes just sppliments. thank again

Old 10-17-2008, 03:47 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I would save your money and get the nova extreme PRO, I had the nova extreme and it kinda fell apart on me. The Pro have better legs and rounded reflectors for better light diffusion.
You will need to get test kits for ammonia, nitrItes and nitrAtes to follow your cycle. I wouldn't waste the pH, ca, phosphate and alk tests during your cycle.
Once we know you ammonia, nitrIte and nitrAte readings we can further assist with the cycle question.
You centipede (just a guess with out pics) is possibly a bristleworm. I consider them a nice addition to my clean up crew.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 05:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

sorry for the deley

i got a test kit and tested for the first time nitrite was clear nitrate was clear and the amonia was zero. is the clear reading a zero? is this normal. as far as lite goes they did not carry the pro series.
Old 10-18-2008, 06:36 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

How long is the tank?
Nova Extreme Pro, Home Garden items on eBay.com

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 10-18-2008, 07:04 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

36in iwent with the regular one not the pro. is it bad. isee wat you mean about the legs but i think it will be fine
Old 10-18-2008, 08:28 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

It's not bad, just make sure when you decide to change the bulbs, make sure you do it before lights on. That was my mistake. I turned the lights off for a little while and didn't allow the end caps to completely cool off and ended up cracking them....

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com