Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-24-2005, 05:14 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

How fast will the cycle start?

I set up my tank on 8/19, and on 8/20 the LR went in. I did a water test today (8/23) and my readings were:
Ammonia = 0.25 mg/l
Nitrite = <0.3 mg/l
Nitrate = 0 mg/l
Specific Gravity = 1.022

The ammonia test color actually looked closer to 0 than to .25, likewise for the nitrite. But i figure i'd be cautious and take the higher color. I've searched on other test results people got when cycling their tanks, and my numbers seem really low for a cycle, especially when it looked like it could have been zero's across the board. Is this my cycle? Am i lucky and have little die-off? Or has it not really started yet, and i'm testing too early? How fast do cycles normally start...i was under the impression that it should spike pretty fast.

Old 08-24-2005, 08:51 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

There might not be enough die-off to feed a full cycle. Go to the grocery store and get a cockatail shrimp or two and throw them into the tank. This will be plenty to jump-start your cycle.

Old 08-24-2005, 09:09 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Did you buy cured LR? And Seeing your in Hawaii is it local LR? Like lando says not enough die off for a cycle.
If its cured you will not see a cycle because it already has the bacteria needed on it.
Take your time and it will happen... try the shrimp like lando suggests...
nothing good happens fast in this hobby...

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 09:36 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
If the live rock was good quality cured rock you might not see much of an ammonia spike even with adding a shrimp. This is because if you have enough live rock that has a good bed of bactera already on it than the bactera can easily handle the increased ammonia from the shrimp and thus you wont end up with extremly high numbers.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 11:55 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

It's not cured. By cured you mean it was already cleaned of the stuff that died on it right? I got the rock straight from the beach. Went to a part of the island inaccessible by cars and any vehicles...hiked a bit to the ocean, swam out and picked the loose rock. Put that in a bucket with some fresh seawater and took it home. Time from ocean to my tank was about 30-40 minutes. What is that considered? Uncured right? I guess i gotta throw a shrimp in there and prepare myself for some unpleasant smells around the house.

And i know it'll probably come up...LFS said law is 1lb per day.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:15 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Well it could be consitered aganst the law depending on the state. I dont know what HI's rules are on collection of rock from the ocean but I know in other states its highly illegal.

That would be classified as cured since there would be next to zero dieoff.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycle, start

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com