Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-20-2011, 11:20 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Tank,for fish only canister or hangon filter,salt,i used 14.00 shoplight from walmart the stainless steel one with 10000 k t8 and actinic t8 super cheap. Some people say skimmer but with water changes you r fine. For coral tank i would do sump,overflow box,t5 ho lights.skimmer for chemical warfare rock sand saltthats a good start

Old 12-21-2011, 03:26 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel View Post
Yes lots

Tank
Stand
Hood
Filter (reccomend a better filter then required)
Very good/expensive lights
Protein skimmer (optional but helpful)
Ro unit (save money in long run)
Salt
Differant test kits
Live rock/base rock
Sand
Fish and clean up crew (= expensive)
Powerheads (2)

Am i missing anything anyone?
Ya i broke it down pretty far but its almost all necessary
A refractometer to the list,
I buy used as much as possible to keep costs down but by the time you figure in everything I have more wrapped up in this hobby than I am going to admit to myself or anyone else. It can be done on a budget and be done right if you are willing to do the leg work to get the best deals.

One thing about it if you have a bad habit that cost money and you are wanting to quit a saltwater reef tank will take up all the money from the bad habit so you can't afford it and your tank too.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:15 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Parden my bluntness and my non knowing but i wanted a clownfish aka nemo and a dori fish ...dont know what thats called
Old 12-21-2011, 01:18 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crewless
Parden my bluntness and my non knowing but i wanted a clownfish aka nemo and a dori fish ...dont know what thats called
Lol...ill teach you the names.
Nemo clown-ocerellis clownfish (needs at least 15-20 gallons, although some say 10)
"dori" fish-regal tang, blue tang, hippo tang (needs a tank that is at least 6 feet long, 150-180 gallons usually, not suitable for a beginner)
Old 12-21-2011, 01:31 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

the first 6 months of a saltwater tanks life is really the critical prt, withs when all the life and benificial bacteria that help clean the water are starting to form. waterchanges should be done every weeek, if not every week every otehr week
Old 12-21-2011, 01:41 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

A $20 saltwater fish is relatively cheap. Most are $40-$60. I am paying $100 for a black and white clownfish pair.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:54 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thats insane o.o i would love a mantis shrimp!!!
Old 12-21-2011, 02:03 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Haha its about 20-30 bucks where i am. And ya a mantis shrimp would be cool, but they kill every invert in your tank.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:09 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your first post you asked about a 5 gallon tank, truth is you can do it and if you do it right your tank will be beautiful but a lot of work. You could have maybe one small fish in it a neon goby. If you want a clown go with at least a 30 gallon tank and if you want a tang of any type go with a 180 or even larger.

Once you decide on what fish you want in your tank then go from there and see if you will have the space and money to start it. Remember the bigger the easier it will be to take care of.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:46 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Newbie

whats the best thing to cleanup in your tand{IN FISH I MEAN]

Tags
salt, salt water, salt water tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com