How hard is a salt water tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crewless

Aquarium Advice Activist
Want to know whats involved in starting a saltwater tank? DO NOT SUGAR COAT IT i want the facts please is it possable fir a 5 gallon to be a saltwater tank?

Hello if you are just starting out i wouldnt do anything under a 30 gallon keeping water parameters in check wont be easy i started with 55 gallon and it was easier than freshwater to me.5 gallon can be done just lots of water changes all the time

Thank you its exactly what i wanted now i have your attention what does it take to make a 30 gallon salt water tank?

The fish cost more and if you want reef you'll need good lighting but maintenance is less because all the inverts. Snails crabs starfish all clean and stir the sandbed.once you have what you need super easy.

True, but the bummer part is that when you loose a fish, its at least a 20 dollar loss. :/ also you need to test the water for more things

Crewless said:
Yea equipment needed?

Yes lots

Tank
Stand
Hood
Filter (reccomend a better filter then required)
Very good/expensive lights
Protein skimmer (optional but helpful)
Ro unit (save money in long run)
Salt
Differant test kits
Live rock/base rock
Sand
Fish and clean up crew (= expensive)
Powerheads (2)

Am i missing anything anyone?
Ya i broke it down pretty far but its almost all necessary

Tank,for fish only canister or hangon filter,salt,i used 14.00 shoplight from walmart the stainless steel one with 10000 k t8 and actinic t8 super cheap. Some people say skimmer but with water changes you r fine. For coral tank i would do sump,overflow box,t5 ho lights.skimmer for chemical warfare rock sand saltthats a good start

Yes lots

Tank
Stand
Hood
Filter (reccomend a better filter then required)
Very good/expensive lights
Protein skimmer (optional but helpful)
Ro unit (save money in long run)
Salt
Differant test kits
Live rock/base rock
Sand
Fish and clean up crew (= expensive)
Powerheads (2)

Am i missing anything anyone?
Ya i broke it down pretty far but its almost all necessary

A refractometer to the list,
I buy used as much as possible to keep costs down but by the time you figure in everything I have more wrapped up in this hobby than I am going to admit to myself or anyone else. It can be done on a budget and be done right if you are willing to do the leg work to get the best deals.

One thing about it if you have a bad habit that cost money and you are wanting to quit a saltwater reef tank will take up all the money from the bad habit so you can't afford it and your tank too.

Parden my bluntness and my non knowing but i wanted a clownfish aka nemo and a dori fish ...dont know what thats called :(

Crewless said:
Parden my bluntness and my non knowing but i wanted a clownfish aka nemo and a dori fish ...dont know what thats called :(

Lol...ill teach you the names.
Nemo clown-ocerellis clownfish (needs at least 15-20 gallons, although some say 10)
"dori" fish-regal tang, blue tang, hippo tang (needs a tank that is at least 6 feet long, 150-180 gallons usually, not suitable for a beginner)

the first 6 months of a saltwater tanks life is really the critical prt, withs when all the life and benificial bacteria that help clean the water are starting to form. waterchanges should be done every weeek, if not every week every otehr week

A $20 saltwater fish is relatively cheap. Most are $40-$60. I am paying $100 for a black and white clownfish pair.

Haha its about 20-30 bucks where i am. And ya a mantis shrimp would be cool, but they kill every invert in your tank.

Your first post you asked about a 5 gallon tank, truth is you can do it and if you do it right your tank will be beautiful but a lot of work. You could have maybe one small fish in it a neon goby. If you want a clown go with at least a 30 gallon tank and if you want a tang of any type go with a 180 or even larger.

Once you decide on what fish you want in your tank then go from there and see if you will have the space and money to start it. Remember the bigger the easier it will be to take care of.

Back
Top Bottom