How long are you guys keeping your moon lights on?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Evo8

Aquarium Advice Freak
i just installed a blue led strip in between my stock bulbs on my biocube 28 (it came with no stock moon lights) anyways..should i keep them on all night?

5 bucks off ebay BTW they're really nice and bright and bring out the color in my zoa's nicely.

Attachments

• 2013-11-01 23.09.29.jpg
    2013-11-01 23.09.29.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 2013-11-01 22.27.29.jpg
    2013-11-01 22.27.29.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 79
I'd say keep them on from anywhere from 30 min to 3 hours. I keep mine on for 3 hours most of them time because I love seeing the night life, but fish do need a long period of time of absolute darkness. If this is for the fish , then id say 30 min to an hour, if it's for you're viewing, then maybe 2-3 hours! Just my opinion!

ok..maybe this might seem dumb..but doesnt the moon not give them total darkness in the wild? most of our fish are is costal waters with super clear water that the moon illuminates right threw to the ocean floor..

ok..maybe this might seem dumb..but doesnt the moon not give them total darkness in the wild? most of our fish are is costal waters with super clear water that the moon illuminates right threw to the ocean floor..

Though that may be semi true... An aquarium is very different. I have moonlights and some of my fish can't sleep them with them on.

Our tanks are 2 feet deep while ocean reefs are 30+ ... Very little light reaches down there. It's very different circumstances! ... Maybe you can put them on a timer? That would be easiest

Though that may be semi true... An aquarium is very different. I have moonlights and some of my fish can't sleep them with them on.

Our tanks are 2 feet deep while ocean reefs are 30+ ... Very little light reaches down there. It's very different circumstances! ... Maybe you can put them on a timer? That would be easiest

most likley i will put them on a time for about two hours.. how do you know if your fish can sleep?

most likley i will put them on a time for about two hours.. how do you know if your fish can sleep?

That's a good idea!

I know my fish and know when they are sleeping and awake. My clowns have spots where they sleep every night haha!

If you've ever went scuba diving at night and turned your light off, even with the moon out, unless it's a full moon and close to the earth, it's still pitch black after you get past like 5 foot. The moon lights are just for us.

I'll get a timer tomorrow thanks for all the advice guys! And I haven't been scuba diving but I've been really wanting too after starting my tank..and I'm only a few hours from the keys

Back
Top Bottom