Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-29-2007, 11:42 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

How long before dead live rock becomes alive?

I have 50-60lbs of live rock that has been out of the water for several years. I am using it as base for my reef and mixing it with new live rock. I know after a while the rock will become "alive" again. Does anyone have an idea how long this takes. I am not looking for the number of days or months but more like does it take weeks, months, or years.
Thanks

Old 01-02-2008, 02:33 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Base rock added to an existing tank will become LR in a matter of days. All that means is that nitrifying bacteria will start to grow there. The same is true of almost any object that is placed in the tank.

If you are looking for Coraline algae growth, that depends on lighting (it's a low light algae), water parameters and the presence of Coraline algae already in the tank. It could weeks, or months.

Do you know the full history of the rock. Has it ever been in a tank that was medicated with copper or anything else?

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

The rock was in a well established and well maintained tank for several years. I am not sure about copper. The rock has been out of water for about 3 years.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:10 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I am looking at getting back into the hobby. I had gorgeous live rock but shut the tank down. It's been a little over 5 years and I'm looking at digging my rock back out. What should I do to get it "live" again? I would like to get some coraline algae again.

thanks
Lance
Old 02-17-2008, 08:17 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68sting View Post
I am looking at getting back into the hobby. I had gorgeous live rock but shut the tank down. It's been a little over 5 years and I'm looking at digging my rock back out. What should I do to get it "live" again? I would like to get some coraline algae again.

thanks
Lance
You will need some LR I am not sure how big your tank is or much you have in storage but you can reseed it by placing it into a tote bin (or even your tank with nothing in it but sand ,water, heater, PH and a filter)with nothing more than the rock salt water power head and a heater ,get some new live rock and place in with it you will want to keep some of it for your tank get some that has coraline on it and if your LPS has a big tank with large ammounts of coraline ask them if you could get some "chips of it to seed your rock , it can take upwards of 6months to a year for it to fully become live and coraline encrusted again ...You should be able to after about 2 months beable to move it to a tank to start stocking , your biodiversity will grow if you add corals that come attached to live rock tho it will be slower going for that
10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dead, dead live rock, live, live rock, long, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com