How long can I cycle for?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cox82

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, my instinct as a go-getter is to jump right into this and the second that my cycle is finished to grab my cuc and a few weeks later add my first little tank mates. However, I do want all of my pets to be happy and healthy and I have a bit of a dilema.

I am leaving in late February or early March for Colombia and will be there 3 weeks to a month. My husband will be home, but I'm not sure that I trust him to wipe off the counters while I'm gone rather alone do PWCs and feed and test parameters and and and. What I'm thinking is that maybe I can get a CUC on boxing day (as previously planned), and then wait until I get back to add any fish. I figured that this way my tank will be super cycled and more than ready for my livestock. Yet, I am worried that leaving the tank this long without fish will cause the cycle to crash. Is it better to just add a heartier fish (or even my original line up) and get a local reefer to come and maintain. (Isn't it horrible that I am trusting my husband to watch our daughter for three weeks, but not the aquarium?!?! :oops: .... my daughter is self-sufficient, the fish aren't!! - that's my excuse anyways :ROFLMAO: )

So, my instinct as a go-getter is to jump right into this and the second that my cycle is finished to grab my cuc and a few weeks later add my first little tank mates. However, I do want all of my pets to be happy and healthy and I have a bit of a dilema.

I am leaving in late February or early March for Colombia and will be there 3 weeks to a month. My husband will be home, but I'm not sure that I trust him to wipe off the counters while I'm gone rather alone do PWCs and feed and test parameters and and and. What I'm thinking is that maybe I can get a CUC on boxing day (as previously planned), and then wait until I get back to add any fish. I figured that this way my tank will be super cycled and more than ready for my livestock. Yet, I am worried that leaving the tank this long without fish will cause the cycle to crash. Is it better to just add a heartier fish (or even my original line up) and get a local reefer to come and maintain. (Isn't it horrible that I am trusting my husband to watch our daughter for three weeks, but not the aquarium?!?! :oops: .... my daughter is self-sufficient, the fish aren't!! - that's my excuse anyways :ROFLMAO: )

Nobody? Bumpidy bump bump bump...please ;)

I could be wrong but you could have him add a pinch of food once a week to give the bb something to eat someone more experienced please feel free to correct me if wrong

I would personally put in the cuc and have him add a flake or 2 every few days just so the cuc has something to eat. Seeing as your tank will still be pretty new there probably isn't much algee or anything in there yet for them to eat. I learned that one the hard way... I lost an emerald crab because I figured there was plenty for him to eat.

or you could just add more ammonia and strengthen the beneficial bacteria in there ready for when you get back.

Back
Top Bottom