How long can you keep saltwater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishybuisness

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have saltwater that's been sitting here maybe about 2 months..no heat no airation..can it be used? Or should I just dump it..its only about 5 or 6 gallons maybe less..should I just not take the chance?

I have saltwater that's been sitting here maybe about 2 months..no heat no airation..can it be used? Or should I just dump it..its only about 5 or 6 gallons maybe less..should I just not take the chance?

Has a lot of it evaporated? If it has, the salinity will be too high, so adding some distilled or R/O water to it to bring it back within an acceptable salinity range may be necessary.

Otherwise, as long as it is clean water, was in a clean container, and it isn't contaminated with anything, it's fine.

So say, for example, you mixed 6 gallons of SW 2 months ago, put it in a bucket with the lid on and left it. That water is ok to use. Just check the salinity before you use it.

I asked this a while back and was told freshwater will keep but not salt I'd dump it to save risk

I ended up dumping it.. 6 gallons can wreak having on my little 30 gallon tank I'm sure

Back
Top Bottom