How long does it take a fish to adapt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pittchic

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I acclimated our new Royal Gramma's today for an hour before putting them in the tank (as told to by etropicals.com). They have been in the tank now for 4 hours and they still aren't swimming around. They're still in the "hybernation" state that they came in. When they first came I really thought they were dead, the didn't move AT ALL. etropicals said this is common & it's a hybernation state. Anyway...shouldn't they be swimming after 4 hours? How long does it take a fish to get used to a new tank? They are the only fish in my 80 gallon tank.

It depends on the fish, some are quicker to come around then others. I'd give them at least overnight before worrying.

When I got my first royal gramma he hid for over a week. In fact, I thought he was dead so I went out and bout another royal gramma. Just when I got done acclimating the second one to QT, I walk out and see the first one swimming happily around in my aqaurium. Moral of the story..Give it time, and then give it some more time :wink:

So 2 can live in harmony in the same tank? The tank is 80 gallons. I do have someone who will take the other fish but if we can keep them both I'd like to do that...

My Royal Gramma came from saltwaterfish.com to icy cold Maine.

He was moving all throught the acclimation process...and made himself right at home in my tank in a few minutes. I acclimated for 3.5 hours via drip methods as saltwaterfish.com recommended. We have had him for 2 weeks....and he is everyones favorite fish! Quite the personality!

WC

Back
Top Bottom