How long does it take a tank to fully cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pittchic

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We've had our tank running for about 5 weeks now. We have a 75 gallon tank had 5 damsels in there for 4 weeks (we know it's now wrong we only found out after our LFS told us to do it). Anyway, we have a lot of brown algae but it is not turning green! My husband has tested 2 times -one week apart- and both times our ammonia is .25 and nitrite & nitrate is 0. So, do you think this is cycled? We asked our LFS if we could put a tang in yet and they won't give us a straight answer, they say it's our decision. They are not helping us at all!

I would wait until your ammonia reads 0 before adding any other fish. You may still be building bio load with 5 damsels in there. Tangs are notorious Ick magnets and you don't want to tempt that fate if you don't have to. Some tangs should be the last fish in the tank (like my yellow, for example, unfortunately I didn't know that when I added it)!

I wouldn't expect your algae to turn green. The brown is diatoms and will usually burn out and go away towards the tail end of your cycle. How much LR do you have and what filtration are you using? I'm in NJ too, what LFS did you use?

We only have 10 lbs of LR, my husband didn't want any but figured we should get a little just for the small benefit. Do you think our tank will be done cycling soon? It seems like this is taking forever! I didn't realize that the brown algae is not what we want to grow! Geez, do you think I should buy a few snails to clear this up? As for the filtration, we are using a Magnum 350 - it's a canister below the tank. We also have a protein skimmer, it's not the greatest of skimmers but from what we've heard something is better than nothing. As for my LFS, I'm not sure if we'll be using this place much longer, we haven't been to impressed with them. We currently live in Southern NJ. We are you at?

My 55 gal tank has been cycling for 6 weeks now, one week with partially cured LR. Ammonia is at .25 , nitrite 0 and nitrate 20. Still waiting to put any fish in it started getting a diatom bloom a few days ago. Not happy with the nitrate level, seems to have been holding at 20 since the cycle started, purchased a RO/DI which should arrive next week think we have some nitrates in our water. Once my ammonia hit 0 then well watch it for a week and see if it is stable. Not sure how long it takes for the full cycle but seems to vary from situation to situation. I am also from South Jersey, howdy neighbors. :D

Williamstown, huh? I'm in Gloucester Twp! I actually go to school at Rowan. Can you recommend a good LFS? I'm on the hunt for one. Thanks! :D

ammonia is .25 and nitrite & nitrate is 0.
Looks like your cycle is just starting. The end result of the cycling process is nitrate. Have you noticed an ammonia spike yet? Have you ever had any detectable nitrite or nitrate? Your tank could really benifit from the addition of some more LR. At least 40lbs or so. LR is the single best thing you can do for your tank. It will grow natural food for a lot of animals and provide you with the best biological filtration possible.

Well for local pet shops there are a couple, paradise pet center in stratford across from the lindenwold speedline station on the white horse pike, he seems to be knowledgeable there. I got some LR from him it's not to bad, he moslyl has tonga, i also get some supplies from JB tropical fish on the black horse pike in williamstown, and zoos pet center. I haven't found nirvana for a petshop. Each one seems to have it's strenghts and weaknesses as to advice. Like at paaidise was asking about a deal for live rubble for my wet/dry and he leans toward leaving them bioballs in there... I lean toward live rubble..but I like how informative he is and, he believes in letting the tank cycle...he doesn't stock alot of stuff but can order it for you. I got my coralife pc from him. JB, he doesn't recommend a DSB doesn't believe in it.

I ask questions, listen and do research and then decide which way i wanna go with things. I think we all have our ideal setup based on our own research. It truly is an expensive hobby (think i have put about $1200 into my SW setup so far), basically all i can say is research research research, plus it is nice to go to a local fish store and actually talk to a human from time to time <grin>. I have talked to my FW fish for 2 years now and they haven't said a word.

(BTW - for those not from around these parts, the white horse and black horse pikes are named after the old stage coach runs from philly to atlantic city just a bit of non fish info to file away)

--Liz

Every tank is different just keep testing. I recently set up a small fish only tank and used bio spira marine and natures ocean live sand. My tank cycled in 4 days.

Have you tried Aquarium Center in Clementon. I made the trip down there (on my quest for FS nirvana) this past weekend and found they had a big selection and reasonable prices.

That's where I usually shop. I am not happy with the place at all. The help they hire is all teenagers who are too busy talking on the phone or with their friends to help the customer. Also, they have many, MANY dead fish in their tanks...too many for my taste. They will sell you anything and tell you everything in the store is compatible and will live happily in a 1 gallon tank. They catch their fish stock with poison which I am not ok with and to be quite honest, compared to some of the other prices I've seen they are priced pretty high.

I haven't been there, but like I said i feel that alot of places will try to sell you alot of stuff that's why the research part. Zoos is the same way they will try to sell ya anything...and few teenagers there one suggested cycling with fish, eeep!!!!. I have gotten some FW fish from them and they have done well, and they will buy back your fish if you decide to change the fish in Ur tank for half the retail value, but i could never part with mine... 2years and they are too kewl to think about trading in. One or 2 know there stuff and if ya can find them it helps. Where ever I go, I always walk their tanks and look at the stock. I won't be ready for fish for awhile but looking....there is a new place opening in somerdale, the sign doesn't say when, keeping an eye out for when they do and will pop in and let ya know. We must continue our quest....as for prices if they are knowldgeable and offer good advice, I don't mind paying a lil extra than a larger discount place because that is definitely a value added thing.

--Liz

Back
Top Bottom