How long does it take for a tank to cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bholl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank seems like it's taking forever to cye and I don't know why any pointers?

Broad question. On average 2-6 weeks, but there are many variables. are you using live rock? what is your ammonia source? are you running any filtration yet?

Well I'm new to this whole thing so as for my ammonia sources idk yes I have live rock in there and a sump underneath with a protein skimmer. I had my water tested and the ammonia levels were pretty high and my calcium was low so I got some bacteria to treat the ammonia and some calcium booster, and marine buffer

As noob I'll make an effort to help. You want the following to happen in order.

Ammonia spike-----(bacteria eats ammonia and reproduces)--------then a spike in Nitrite----(bacteria eats Nitrite and reproduces)-----then a you'll have a Nitrate spike. Thats when you'll do a water change. Most people add a shrimp in for the ammonia spike, but it can be done in different ways. Buying live rock is another way. You actually want the bacteria to form so that when you have fish or other things in your tank that poop(ammonia), you'll have the natural bacteria to keep your tank clean.

So, wait for the drop in ammonia and drop in trites before you do anything. Good luck

Cheers
Nick

You'll definitely want to get a general test kit for your home if you can. The API liquid saltwater kit is a good place to start. If you're going for a reef having calcium, magnesium and alkalinity tests are very helpful. I'd recommend Red Sea test kits for those three.

You also can't add calcium to the tank without effecting alkalinity. First off, don't even worry about calcium right now. Whoever tested a calcium level in a cycling tank, wouldn't be my "go-to" guy for advice.
Everything you need is in your salt mix.
At the top of this forum you will see threads with general information in them. Check those out.

Ok thanks guys I figured you guys would know more than the kid at the pet shop

Back
Top Bottom